Red mushrooms?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HenkHugo, 28 Dec 2007.

1. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Hey Sara!

I have a question for you. Today in a shop I was looking at batch of various mushrooms in a coral tank. Now what caught my eye was the fact that all the red ones on various rocks in this tank seems to be shriveled up but not any of the others (blue, green, brown etc)?

Why would only the red ones be affected?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sihaya

sihaya

The red ones might likely be a different species with different sensitivities. I have also noticed this "trend" (anecdotally/personal experience) ... some of the bright red ones just seem to be more "delicate" than some of the blue/brown ones. I couldn't tell you exactly why (or even if the red ones are all one species)-- I doubt anyone could tell you for sure. These things are very difficult to ID to a species. In fact, in some of these marine inverts, it's hard to say what even makes for a separate species or not. You'd almost have to do some kind of genetic history tests/comparisons.

Anyway... it might also be a chemical warfare (allelopathic) thing going on. I personally think my out-of-control hairy mushroom played a role in the demise of my red mushrooms. :(

But you have me curious now... let me do some research and if I find any more info, I'll post it. :)

4. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

i figured it might be something like that... i'll await the research :thumbup:

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not that I know much about red mushrooms but I was sent one overnight, within 2 days of being in my tank it just sort of disintegrated into nothing. I was very upset as it was initially a stunning specimen and I was looking forward to propagating it. But my case could have been due to the shipping.

6. seank

seank

Got another one (01) for you if we can make a plan on shippin as well as your star Viper

7. sihaya

sihaya

Dean- Yeah, it's also worth noting that some coral types/species ship and acclimate better than others.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Cool, yeah, we'll make a plan with SIMS courier company in the new year, as long as they can do same day delivery.

9. sihaya

sihaya

Hey Henk, sorry I kind of forgot about this thread... I'll post what I found tomorrow. I'm still a bit jet lagged at the moment.

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

:p

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sara / Henk - just a possible suggestion:
    Could it not perhaps be that the "red mushrooms" are possibly "deep water" corralimorphs, that is affected by strong lighting? I noticed my mushrooms open up more in less light, but also "shrink" in size if they are placed under my metal halides?

12. sihaya

sihaya

It's possible... but in reality, most the corals we get for the hobby are from generally the same water level. But! It's also the case that corals from the same water level can have different abilities to adapt to a sudden change in lighting. So this could also be a factor here.

13. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

well the red ones are fine now.... its the expensive red and blue spotted ones i am worried about now :p

14. sihaya

sihaya

Any pictures?

15. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

i'll take some... my apprtment is a mess... started packing for my move :p

16. sihaya

sihaya

Speaking of mushroom issues... someone wrote in to WWM asking what was happening to their "mushroom coral" here:
    http://www.saltbucket.com/d/12563-2/Picture+014.jpg

That can't be a mushroom coral. Or, if it is, it must have something growing on it... but the photo isn't clear enough for me to see what's actually going on. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

(Sorry to hijack your thread Henk... but I thought you might find this interesting too since you're into 'shrooms.)

17. jacquesb

IF they are mushrooms Sara, it seems that they are completely "droopy" and "inside out"... I have seen something similar with corralimorphs that are busy dying... The mushrooms become "stringy" and then later on "just dissappear"... I can only imagine that this would happen if the mushrooms have been hassled by fish, crabs, perhaps the rock they are on that keep on falling off a pedestal somewhere (where it was placed) - too much water flow (they don't like too much water flow), not enough light (even though I have noticed that corrallimorphs don't like TOO much light, they should get SOME light at least), perhaps not enough "food" in the water (zooplankton).... etc....

18. sihaya

sihaya

Yeah, I agree (have seen that too), but it's not the droopy, curving, etc. that's puzzling me. It's those two little things on top... they do look like they might be polyps but it's hard to tell. I guess that's why I/we need more pictures...

19. jacquesb

Yeah - more pictures would definitely help.... BUT, I think that it might be the "mouths" protruding (the little "polyp"-type things)... ;-)

Recent Posts