Red irritation below YT skin

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by leslie hempel, 1 Aug 2011.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a bit of an odd one occuring in my tank atm..

the pictured yellow tang has some bruising near its scapel,(the skin is not broken or lacerated) i have seen it and another of the tangs rubbing up against each other but not violently.. not enough for me to believe that the scapel is the lone cause of this redness.. the other tang does not display any of this (which i would have convinced me that it was fighting between the 2 and the second tang would have simular markings) and what is worrying is that my bicolor had it at a stage aswell (where the dorsal fin meetd the top of the body..

the tang is also showing the signs of it forming along the lateral line..

anyone experiencing the same thing? i have never ever had this before..

i do need to check my water parameters and have not tested but i am comparing this tang to the others which have not got it and they are fine.. the bicolor hase been clear of it for about 2 weeks now...

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Never had this before, so cant really be of any help here, if the bi color had it and is now clear i wouldn't worry too much. Just watch if it gets any worse, but for now i am Tagging.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a feeling it may be excess bacteria from the bio pellets im running.. well thats my first assumption so far.. its the only thing i have done differently..

but i am due for a waterchange .. im a little sceptical as the seas is still not clean enough IMO...

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Maybe try reducing the amount of pellets in the system, thus reducing the amount of bacteria.

6. pXius

pXius

I don't know les, I'm a bit skeptical towards that theory. The concept of biopellets is to keep the bacteria in the reactor any any bacteria leaving the reactor should be skimmed out, thats why we got the reactor outlets running into the skimmer. If any of them get pass that stage I doubt it'll be enough to cause something like that.

Could be something that came in with the NSW?

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Hi Les, I had it on my tang too, just below his dorsal fin (I am dosing vodka and Microbacter), but it cleared up after a few days and he never stopped eating. Could be bacterial.
    Good luck!

8. leslie hempel

Al im already on a half dose, i am not intending to go with a 100% correctly ratio dosage as i dont want to deplete nutrients owing to me keeping mostly LPS...

i had an instance where alot of mulm entered the system at a stage due to the reactor blocking, i can only think this was consumbed by the fish but its weird that only 1 of 3 yellows is displaying this..

my reactor runs direcl=tly into my skimmer and i get alot of muck since im using pellets,

as for the NSW theory i havent changed anything since startup, my tank is due for a change now...

mmm interesting, thanks for the comments and participation here.. im not 100% sure that it is the culprit but if i look at it logically its all i can see could be the cause.

funnily enough its occuring in my yellow fish or the yellow portions (as with the bicolor) of the fish...

they dont seem too phased by it and continue as normal.. appetite is still unhindered...

just strange..

9. pXius

pXius

could be that it's only visible on yellow, but still present on the other colours...

10. leslie hempel

its definatley possible, i have loked closley and seen nothing on the purple tang or fradmani..

but its definatley a possibility that its there...

11. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

I had the same problem 2 weeks back also only on 3 YT but the redness is going away.

the pipe from the pump to the bio pellet reactor was disconnected, all I did was to reconnect.
    I tested for Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite because this also happens with high nitrate levels, which was 0 in my case.

Leslie I think you could have found what caused my problem.

12. leslie hempel

i think we getting somewhere if more people running bio pellets are experiencing the same thing but id like to keep the options open untiil we can prove it with some more case studdies and evedence.

13. Nippy

Nippy

Im having the same problem for about two weeks now, my yellow tank has those red spots on the same place Leslie yellow has his but on both sides and he also scratches alot,im also using bio pellets with the output going to my skimmer.:blush:

Nippy

14. rakabos

rakabos

I have seen similar "bruising" on my sailfin, same area. It went away after 2 weeks. It may be a hormonal reaction or something unknown and weird that you cant think of. I dont use NP pellets

15. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

it could be an infection. Has it injured itself recently?

16. leslie hempel

mine hasnt, not too sure of what to make of it... seems yellow tangs are most prone to this... or just more easily noticable on this.. i forgot to mention the red bloch is of an equal size in the same area on bith sides of the fishes body...

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

How is the tang doing Les?
    Now one of my Green Chromis' has the same discolouration, at least it still eats, FOOD IS LOVE!

18. eddiead

eddiead

I've had the same thing on my yellow tang. I also use N/P reducing biopellets. Only one of the two yellow tangs developed these red markings and it was the more dominant one. The thought that it might be the biopellets never crossed my mind.
    I thought it might be a show of dominance or something. The markings went away after a few weeks and still hasn't returned. The more dominant yellow tang is a terror and is even taking on the purple tang now (which is much bigger than him).

19. leslie hempel

i have it developing on a second tang now..i have done a large water change and gravel clean to try remove as much residue out of the system as possible.

lets see if it works

20. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Lesley,

I am going say to you that it is a hemorrhagic septicemia that can be treated by a broad spectrum antibiotic(Don't you just love it? Doctors do it to us alllllll the time!). Most marine baterial infections can be killed by this and it would be best to choose on that is both gram positive and negative bacteria like OxyTetracycline Hydrochloride(for something more locally available, check with your vet?? ).Let it also ingest it by soaking in the food. Most Marine bacteria are gram negative (so is your nitrifying bacteria) so obviously QT would be the route to take.

Also I read some where that if you have a voltage leak in your tank by some kind of frayed wire, earthing issues, it could cause the same problem ??? I think that is pretty out there ?:lol:

Have a look at this I picked up from a site just to prove my diagnoses and treatment.

OXYTETRACYCLINE HYDROCHLORIDE:

Oxytetracycline is a naturally occurring Tetracycline that is more broad spectrum than Tetracycline Hydrochloride (but not as broad spectrum as Minocycline, especially as to gram negative bacteria).

USE: Oxytetracycline will treat gram-positive and many gram-negative bacteria. Marine ulcer disease, cold water disease, bacterial hemorrhagic septicemia (Symptoms: Red streaks in body and fins, or redness in the body. Also open sores or loss of scales and mouth fungus.

DOSAGE: 250- 500 mg teaspoon per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 50% water change before each treatment. This antibiotic is best used mixed in with food, especially if your ph is above 8.0.

The source is http://www.americanaquariumproducts....dication2.html

Cheers
    Willie

Last edited: 16 Aug 2011
  21. leslie hempel

mmm interesting.. it does seem to fit the bill.. now to get the stuff from a vet.. they going to think im crazy..

Recent Posts