Red Hermits?

Reaction score
I have found 2 bright red (almost illuminus) hermits in my tank. They appear nocturnal as i found them by mistake when i looked at tank after lights had gone out. They move morse fast. Are they ok from a coral reef or must i remove before adding live rock e.t.c.

Reaction score
hmmm gemma, hermitts are rarely nocturnal, so perhaps you dont have hermitts but some other form of crab? any chance of a pic?

do they have an obvious shell, or could they be something else?

also what shape are the front pincers?

Reaction score
They definetly have a shell to retreat into. Couldn't really see the pinchers. Will try have a look tonight.

Reaction score
any pic would be good too....i'll ask mike to have a look at this thread he normally loves id things:) and i'll ask him to move this thread into id section, might be better placed:)

sounds interesting though:)

Reaction score
How long have they been in your tank Gemma? If you could take a guess. I know when i got my Red Legged Hermits for the first couple of days to a week i would never see them moving around during the day, but as they got used to the tank they became less shy in day light hours. Maybe u got a hitch hiker red legged in on something and is still getting used to his surroundings? Just a thought.