Red hairy algae on back glass and on some rocks

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have some red hairy algae growing on the back glass. I've also noted that it spread to some of my live rock...

How good/bad is this? Which parameters must be checked, and how can i get this out/under control...?

There is a lot of water movement on it - so i don't think water movement is a problem.

Reaction score
47647dd6e534b1d1.jpg

This is some of the hairy algae, but i also have some slime looking red algae (same colour as this, but not hairy looking.)

What is causing this, and which paramaters must i check...?

Reaction score
That is Cyano. You need to scrape it off and suck it out with water change. You need to check phosphates they are the major cause.

Are you running any phosphate remover on your system? What is your Alk?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You need to really work on all your params, get a phosphate remover, check your R/O for P04, also alk/ph, get the tank stable and it will soon burn out

Reaction score
HAHA so this doesn't only happen to me.
Sory raven
I have the same stuff dude.
Tjek your TDS of the ro water
I hope u are using ro water( because that cylo looks hectik)

Reaction score
Hi bra yes cyno check you tds on your water and nitrates and nitrites and phosphates and ph should be between 8.20-8.40, alk 8-10,phosphates try to aim for o and nitrites to 0, nitrates aim for 0-2.5-5 not higher and cal 400-450, temp 24-26 deg, take your rock out and scrub but remember if you parameters is not right it will re develop so all do a 10-15lt water change every day till your parameters is in order and sifon you sand and more flow in dead spots,dont be switched off we all some time when through the same thing and i forgot to say add stability by seachem every day after water change for 2 weeks and make it a weekly does after water change.Good luck bra.

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Raven I remember reading about this in one of my books some time ago.
I am almost sure this is either Asparagopsis taxiformis or Asparagopsis armata (spelling might be wrong) and not Cyanobacteria.I will check up tonight to make sure.
The only difference between the 2 was something todo with the branches .
Hope this helps a bit for now.

Reaction score
I believe you should be carefull with most of those when removing them as well. Wear gloves since they may be poisonous...

Reaction score
cyano is k@k stuff, i hope i'll get my source, i still think that mine is my ro unit.
still waiting to check my tds

Reaction score
cyano is k@k stuff, i hope i'll get my source, i still think that mine is my ro unit.
still waiting to check my tds
Time to take a road-trip. Come visit us down in Joburg and we'll check your TDS.

Or you could post water :razz:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Asparagopsis removal.

"Fortunately there are two ways to control a case of excessive red hair algae. The first is the least effective and that is manual control. In essence, the hobbyist becomes the "grazer" and physically removes the tuffs of algae from the aquarium. The best a hobbyist can hope for is a stalemate where the problem algae do not get much worse, but it remains an unsightly presence in the aquarium. Perhaps a more realistic solution is in finding a grazing organism that has a taste for Asparagopsis. Such is the case with the Pacific Turbo Snail, Turbo fluctuosus. It finds red algae very palatable and preferable to other green and brown micro-algae. This species should not be confused with another turbo snail sold in the hobby, Astrea tectum from the Caribbean. Ten Pacific Turbo Snails can typically be supported in a fifty-five gallon aquarium where micro and filamentous algae are present."

Taken from this article;-

Algae Articles

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
Hell thanks Wee-Man .
I knew someone will clean up after me.

U :yeahdude:!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hell thanks Wee-Man .
I knew someone will clean up after me.

U :yeahdude:!!!!!!!!!
Well, now that our bitch is pregnant, i will be clearing up after quite a few puppies:011: :011: :011: :011: :011:

**ahem** sorry :blushing:

Reaction score
Asparagopsis removal.

"Fortunately there are two ways to control a case of excessive red hair algae. The first is the least effective and that is manual control. In essence, the hobbyist becomes the "grazer" and physically removes the tuffs of algae from the aquarium. The best a hobbyist can hope for is a stalemate where the problem algae do not get much worse, but it remains an unsightly presence in the aquarium. Perhaps a more realistic solution is in finding a grazing organism that has a taste for Asparagopsis. Such is the case with the Pacific Turbo Snail, Turbo fluctuosus. It finds red algae very palatable and preferable to other green and brown micro-algae. This species should not be confused with another turbo snail sold in the hobby, Astrea tectum from the Caribbean. Ten Pacific Turbo Snails can typically be supported in a fifty-five gallon aquarium where micro and filamentous algae are present."

Taken from this article;-

Algae Articles

Thanks guys!
First: (Ok this is going to sound dumb....) what is TDS?
Yes I'm using RO water - i'll get this tested again.
My Sumb is a 300 l tank - almost covered with cauliptra (not sure on spelling here again) and some cheato algea to remove phospates. The problem is - I don't think that I have enough of the cheato - the cauliptra is overgrowing it...

Secondly: where can i find me some of these Pacific Turbo Snail, Turbo fluctuosus.
Third: Can someone please help me with more Cheato - I'm in vereeniging area, but work in JHB. Will collect.....

Everything was going so well in me tank...:( No this crap and loadshedding is all over me..:(

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
TDS = total disolved solids = every damn thing in tap water you don't want, once filtered through an r/o filter you want 0 TDS, you then build from there with a decent salt mix to get good quality "sea water"