Red Corris Wrasse... He IS the Devil...

Reaction score
The Red Corris Wrasse is a complete jerk and should not be in a reef tank. They flip crud over and disturb the dsb. I call mine El Diablo, because he IS the Devil... I hate that fish. He eats my clean up crew, no matter how much he gets fed. Flips rocks, corals, and even pries them off of their putty/mounts. Just noticed he's now gotten FANGS! He's impossible to catch. I get within view of the tank with a net, and he burries himself in the sand under the substraight. The jerk spits sand all over the corals. He'd be ok in a preditory fish only... I wouldn't even feel bad if he ended up as some other jerk's meal. It's a good thing I don't own spear fishing gear or a gun... I'd probably snap some time and shoot through the glass at him. Just sayin', I wouldn't ever recommend one of those fish. He's the bane of my existance.

lol i could have told you that:) they are stunningly beautiful fish though....but they grow fast how big is yours i am sure youre going to be ripping rock out to catch him soon anyway!

He's about 7 - 8". I'll probably have to end up having to get a new tank and move everything except him out. I think he's in there for good. I don't have much room in there for a fish trap, and the darn thing is too smart to be first one in.

because he IS the Devil... I hate that fish. He eats my clean up crew, no matter how much he gets fed. Flips rocks, corals, and even pries them off of their putty/mounts. Just noticed he's now gotten FANGS! He's impossible to catch.
And that is how I feel about the whole Clan of Wrasse :lol:

Aaaaahhhh shame ... After my disaster this was the only one with enough brains to bury himself and survive my 6 foot emptying itself ... I take my hat off to him ... But yeah ... never will put him in my reef tank ... For now he has made himself comfortable in my 4 foot lion's lair ... but as soon as the 6 foots running again .... back he goes ....

I love wrasses.. Got 4 at the moment, wouldn't trade them for the world..

The Red Corris Wrasse is a complete jerk and should not be in a reef tank. They flip crud over and disturb the dsb. I call mine El Diablo, because he IS the Devil... I hate that fish. He eats my clean up crew, no matter how much he gets fed. Flips rocks, corals, and even pries them off of their putty/mounts. Just noticed he's now gotten FANGS! He's impossible to catch. I get within view of the tank with a net, and he burries himself in the sand under the substraight. The jerk spits sand all over the corals. He'd be ok in a preditory fish only... I wouldn't even feel bad if he ended up as some other jerk's meal. It's a good thing I don't own spear fishing gear or a gun... I'd probably snap some time and shoot through the glass at him. Just sayin', I wouldn't ever recommend one of those fish. He's the bane of my existance.

This made me laugh and giggle like a little school girl... only because I have a Formosa Wrasse who is, at this moment, a very decent inmate. He's only a juvi though, around 2" but Hyde might come out any day now :whistling:

next time the devil dives into the sand, just put a little net on top of that spot...

next time the devil dives into the sand, just put a little net on top of that spot...
I've tried, but I still have no luck. My tank is narrow and tall and it's hard to get a net down flush with the surface, where he can't get out. He's often buried under the caves in the back/under the rockwork. One of these days, maybe I'll get him.

A little deception and a small hook always works for us. Place some food, bread crust works, on a very small hook and "fish" him out.

Shame, barbaric, cruel ... Whatever. IMO by far the least stressfully to the fish and other inhabitants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me two whole years and a complete 80 % restart before i got my Formosa out ....not a day goes bye that i dont smile to myself now that he is gone .....U think urs is the devil then I definetly had his bigger brother ....

Good luck taking him out .....the bigger they get the smarter they get .....wrasse natural instincts are unlike any other fish i have seen....:)

I do love wrasses, but sometime they just soooo annoying. My six line eats my clean up crew, no hermit is safe. Last night he got bored and smacked a chromis up, the chromis is in quarantine, hopefully he'll recover. Now i trying to trap the bugger, so far no luck. Your little devil is so pretty though ;-)

My dad used to say, never trust a man who has small eyes, I think he referred to Wrasse.
Make no mistake, I love them as they are beautiful, busy etc,but not in my tank again

Back
Top Bottom