Red Algae

Reaction score
Hi all, I am fairly new to Marine tanks and have a build up of Red algae. Believe it is cyanobacteria. How do I get rid of this safely? Thanks

I use a product called ChemiClean, only part is you will have to carry out at least 2 major water changed and don't run your skimmer cause it will just overflow big time, Chemiclean and Erythromycin will cause this.

I used an antibiotic from the chemist, Erythromycin which is the same as ChemiClean, which as only R28 for 30 capsuals compare to R400 plus for ChemiClean. Speak to your local chemist and explain what being used for.

Cynobacteria is a bacteria and both products target the bacteria., also the Cyno will start like peeling off after a while so your gonna have to clean often.

Last edited:
Thanks. And it would kill anything else in my tank?
Also how much of the Erythromycin do you use?

Last edited:
i hate putting chemicals into my tank. That would be my last resort. I recently had a cyano outbreak. Was so bad even my water was brown. All i did was left my lights of for 3 days. Turned them back on but i decreased the intensity. Im now slowly ramping them back up to were i want them.
Blacking out a tank has its own risks. Not all coral like to be in darkness for so long. But i took a chance.

If you go read up on cyano you will see they need light. So if you take away the light you essentially kill it.

Last edited:
@Esmond Agreed, always read the little paper that comes with it.

I will have to check what I did last time, been such a long time since than, If remember the ratio is almost same as Chemiclean

Google ingredients of chemiclean and Erythromycin and you will see they are the same

Last edited:
Second the chemiclean recommendation, of course if the conditions are right it'll come back in time so just make sure any other issues are resolved too. Then a dose of chemiclean and a couple of days is all it takes.

Read the instructions though, from memory it recommends adding an airstone to keep the water aerated since will consume o2. For this reason, I still ran my skimmer, I just took the cup off. And stuck an airstone in the display for the duration.

Last edited:
Chemiclean worked wonders, i have tried everything in my tank before resorting to chemiclean. It did exactly what it was supposed to do.
However after using chemiclean I noticed that my pod population reduced drastically.

If you do decide to go the chemiclean route use it *EXACTLY* as per the boxes instructions!

I can also vouch for Chemiclean. I have used to with great success. I put my skimmer back on after the first day and just let the drain port flow the water back into the tank to help with aeration.

I can also vouch for Chemiclean. I have used to with great success. I put my skimmer back on after the first day and just let the drain port flow the water back into the tank to help with aeration.
i kept the skimmer on from the beginning just did not have the cup on!

Back
Top Bottom