Red Algae

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jakkie, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Jakkie

Jakkie

Hi I have red algea or whatever you call it. It is like a slime and only on the sand. If you "syphin" it with a thin pipe it looks like a blanket. I have spoken to our pet shop and they have recommended Clorifinical(hope the spelling is ok) You dissolve 1 capsule per 12 liter of water. I have done that. It is still coming back after a few days. So I have done it again, wait 3 days and done it again. It went well for about 2 weeks. But it is back. Does anyone know if this medicine is any good, and not please what must I do. I really need help. My tank is 535 liters. All my tests is looking ok. I have an algea activator and also a nitrate activator installed.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Look up cyanobacteria - thats what you have

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Can you post your test results and maybe a picture of the algae and your system?

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

do you mean chloramphenicol ?

6. Trev

Trev

Like Rakabos said its a bacteria not an algea and its also the most basic life form on our planet so it is only normal for a new system with an excess nutrient level to have a bit of it until the system matures and is able to remove those excess nutrients. I am assuming your tank is new and if so dont panic just yet

Trev

7. inflames

inflames

Hi Jakkie,

Welcome to MASA! It sounds like Cyno (bacteria) and Trev is right regarding it, there are threads to get rid of it and it is part of the cycling period, but can linger on in a tank for some time! What I suggest is getting more flow in your tank, let us know what flow you have in at the moment, it may not be enough. Also have a look at your feeding, how long has the tank been running? Also check your carbonate Alkilinity (dKH) normal sea water is around 7, this can be increased to 10ish over a period of time using bi-carb of soda. WHat corals and fish do you have. What also worked very well for me was an airstone...increasing flow and oxygen levels are the best to fight it!

Good luck!

8. Anemone

Anemone

Jakkie,

I don't recommend dosing medication into reef tanks. Cyanobacteria can be cleared up without harmful meds. Start with increasing flow and siphoning the area. Give us a list of your water parameters.

Recent Posts