Recommended size sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by ShLiMi333, 23 Jun 2016.

1. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

Okey, So ive decided to upgrade from my current 80L nano to a 300L tank.

I'm going to convert my tropical to marine. I will have overflow drilled at PG then do one of those skinny type overflows.

Will a 100L 3 chamber sump be sufficient for this 300L DT?

first chamber will house heater and skimmer, Second chamber hmmmmmm i dont know:001_cool: then bubble trap and then third chamber will house return.

Got a quote for the custom built Led Lights.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sump seems big enough. Before you fit the dividers, make sure you skimmer fits and can be removed when under the tank.

4. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Thanx, i will make sure. do i need to have anything in second chamber or can i run it empty?

5. nakoma

nakoma

How big will the second chamber be ?

6. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

i will be using a standard 3ft tank and the skimmer footprint is 33x22. The return section will be 20 so i guess the second chamber will be around 35cm long.

7. nakoma

nakoma

Not to bad size there are so many options my fav is live rock, but running it empty is also a good option for you can use it if you want to add some chemical filtration bags to that chamber maybe later like phosban or activated carbon . Or you can fill it with some bio balls . Or you can do the DSB thing I am not so very fond of that option because you can do the DSB thing in your tank you dont need a sump for that . It is also a great chamber for some mechanical filtration like poly filter media combined with other filter media . So what options were you thinking off .

8. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Mind uploading a pic of your sump so i could maybe steal the idea

9. nakoma

nakoma

Lol my sump is full of live rock it is not the recommended thing to do because it is not easy to maintain correctly , so my sump is not really going to help you , But of you search in google images for sump you get some nice ones . :001_cool:

Last edited: 27 Jun 2016
  10. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

So ive decided to do the following. Overflow will run into filter sock and first chamber will house the skimmer, second chamber will have DSB with Macro algae then 4 baffle bubble trap and 3rd chamber will house the return.

11. nakoma

nakoma

Sounds really great you going to share some pictures as soon as it is up and running .:thumbup:

12. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

I will definitely. Just waiting for lights etc. its gonna be 3 months maybe getting everything and setting up as I'm converting my old 300L tropical to marine.

nakoma likes this.
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

wow? why 4 baffle?
    I do not even use baffles in my systems.

14. jacohall

jacohall

What macro algae are you gonna use. Some have got roots that go deep and will mess up your DSB when trimming and might release some bad stuff into the water.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  15. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

@RiaanP The 4 baffles is so that i can eliminate any and all micro bubbles. unless i have a 2 baffle infront of refuge and then 2 baffle in return section. Whats your take?

@jacohall I will only use Cheato as it isn't asexual and wont send spores flying all over my DT and it will float on top so i dont need to worry about roots and all kind of other nastiness in sump. For the lighting in sump i will use 30cm Led lighting designed for small aquariums. i saw some at my LFS and they use it for their stock tanks and they are brilliant. At R250 pp i at least get a year warranty on the lights.

I was looking into other methods as well but the cabinet i have is only 1.2m in length so it looks like i will need to build my own sump thats approx 2.5ft.

Also, should i run the sump light 24/7 or on a timer?

nakoma likes this.
  16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sump light on a timer, in reverse cycle to the display.

What is the wattage on this unit?
    I use a LED 10W spotlight from the China mall as sump light. Its sealed, waterproof, cheap and it works.

For me baffles are a waste of space, especially on such a small sump space as what you got. Each waste 2.5cm about. Estimate you would loose 10cm sump space just to have no bubbles. But then the water falling over the last divider, acting like a waterfall sucks in air bubbles, that gets picked up by the return pump, shops them up and blow it all back into your tank. Rather have a return chamber big enough to turn the return pump sideways, with inlet AWAY from the waterfall.

Also big enough to allow for minimum 2 days water evaporation before running the return pump dry. That would be 10% of your total system volume, divide by 7 multiplied by 2. This should be the volume that the return chamber got in excess above the return pump. 2 days would at least give you a weekend away with the ATU failing. Believe me, if something can go wrong, it will.

Skimmers should no release micro bubbles back into the sump. Flow over refugium should be slow enough, and refugium long enough to allow for any bubble to escape before reaching the last divider. Filter sock or bubble trap can sort out bubbles from the overflow.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Here is a very simple idea to prevent salt spray and bubbles from the overflow where it enters the sump

[​IMG]

110mm PVC pipe, bottom end with a cutout at 45 degrees. So it can stand on the bottom without ever blocking the flow. Top got a female end cap. Hole drilled into it big enough to push a 50mm pipe through it. 4 little 6mm holes drilled into the end cap, same as you will see on top of skimmer lids. 50mm PVC pipe enters until about 100mm under water surface. Bubbles stay inside, salt spray as well. And the elbow above is not glued. Allows for easy removal. If it drips, so what, its above the sump anyway.

Currently got this on my quarantine, the modified Nanocube 24G and on my sons modified TL550.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2016
  18. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Thanks @RiaanP. Well noted, The overflow pipe will be submersed but your idea is way better. i didnt take in account the splash, so i will definitely use your method for overflow. Regarding the light. I will take a pic and upload info later. And as for the bubble trap i will let the water run over and under to return. i think that will help a lot

19. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Okey,so this is what the unit looks like. And it a whopping 4w and its a thing of beauty. It shines really well. Attached you'll see two tanks. The one on the left has the led and the one on the right has normal tube lighting. Note the colour difference and brightness. The unit has 18 white LEDs and 4 blue LEDs. I really think this little bugger will save space and wont heat up sump area

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

20. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed by this theory. I have tested this on my 70L nano and the ATU returned 1L per day due to evaporation

Last edited: 1 Jul 2016
  21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

thanks
    Yes, 10% is a good guideline. Factors like fans, algae scrubbers and evaporator coolers would impact the ratio as well. On normal setups, display and sump, 10% per week gives a nice average ratio to work with.

Recent Posts