recommended light peroid for LED lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 4age, 26 Jul 2013.

1. 4age

4age

hi guys

need some input on my lighting

I recently acquired two 85watt intellisun led light units for my tank, each unit is 85watts.

tank is 50cm deep and currently keeping a mixed reef and will add sps soon

want to know wat the ideal light period is and at what percentage I should run the lights initially to ensure coral acclimatisation.

im currently running the lights from 5h00 am to 9h00am (while im home) at low power ( 5% white 10% blue and 10% purple plus) lights then go off and then start again at 15h00 on only the blue and purple then progress to a maximum of 15% white 15% blue and 17%purple and then back to blue and purple only at 00h00.

I know that I will have to increase the light intensity, but want to know if the light period is sufficient..do I reduce period and increase intensity or run longer period with gradual increases in intensity.
    @Visser..I know you have a bit more experience with these units..how are you running the unit

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 4age

4age Thread Starter

bump..

4. Nur

Nur Starz

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

IME wit leds .... U run low percentage morning region, then u peak between 12-2pm (growth period) so mostly natural day colours ,then morning and afternoon shud be more nutral,ie bluer for viewing quality .... Moonlight period shud not be too long as it disturbs coral feading routines, I will see they full extend there polyps a few hrs after total darkness,so wat I would do is run moonlights an hour after unit shuts down, once moonlighhts go off I feed coral food into water system and they feed .... Also take into accvount that corals and fish addapt to a routine of lights, so dnt change it too much, find a programme and stick to it, u will immediately notice improvent of health and routine activity

6. STC-1000

Oh I didn use same unit tho, I used a radion,so I dnt knw how the units compare

7. STC-1000

And also I see u run it till certain period in day and switch off den on again later in the day.... You shud nt just worry bout viewing time but also bout the requirements for ur corals etc, try to copy the natural light day cycle/moon cycle so run lights like a sunrise - sunset style, always works

Recent Posts