Recommend Me an Anenome

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tekkengal, 11 Jul 2012.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi All,

I was informed last night by the Hubby that he wants an anemone. He knows that the tanks has to mature before we can add one but he wants to know that I am going to be buying one eventually :lol:

So I need some help with choosing one as I haven't researched enough and know which one to research.
    I'm looking for one that will be happy in a 240l tank with moderate to high flow.

Considering that they move around to where ever suites them and that they have the potential to kill any coral that it touches, would it be better to add it earlier (before I buy more coral) or when the tank is more established (i.e. after all the coral and fish have been added)? I currently only have two corals (a torch and a cabbage (although I have a feeling the name is not right with this one)) and two clams which can be moved back to my nano if need be.

And before any smartypants posts with "AIPTASIA" or "MAJANO" as recommendations, no thanks, been there - done that with aiptasia, not interested in trying majano :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

red bubble or green bubble tip anemones are my personal longer tentackled favourites but i do also like carpet anemones...

so there is my suggestion :)

4. Wes

Wes

tube nennies don't move as much, what's the application?

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

A bubble tip is your best option.

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

Definitely a good option. Mine is doing very well in my 250.

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Some Info for you...Bubble Tip is the "easier" one of the lot...they can get away with T5 lighting...
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones
    A Short Beginners Guide to Anemones - RareClownfish.com
    Also good Info is making you'r Tank "Nennie proof"....
    karensroseanemones.net - Cover powerheads

Someone had a beautiful "multi-colour" BTA..think it was a BTA...will try and get the Link for you...:blush:
    Rainbow BTA - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  8. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks everyone!
    Now the fun starts with loads of research :p

Hubby wants an anenome, just something that is puffy and waves in the water. I'm a little sad that he is not taken with my torch coral :(

Just coming back to my initial question, should I continue to add coral to the tank or should I just wait until I add the anenome?

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,

you can add him when the tank params are stable, meaning that there is no shift or fluctuations.
    I have had my anemone for 2 years and i really dont do anything for him, he is in my garage tank and looking great!

10. tekkengal

Cool beans :)
    Apologies if I am a bit slow, would this imply that I could add an anenome in about 2 months time (taking into account my tanks long cycle time)?

I don't think I've seen a pic of that tank, you care to share some pics? :thumbup:

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Don't rush adding the anemone. Bubble tips are more tolerant than most anemones, but they still need very stable and good parameters. Giving a set time you can add it can be misleading, rather monitor your parameters and wait till your system is healthy and stable.

12. archiecrain

archiecrain

Its not really about timing.....more about stability in your system.....and that you have a well developed understanding of what is happening in your tank, so if things look off you are able to recognise the signs and rectify them.

I agree with all of the above a bubble tip will be the best option.

13. JDV

JDV

Hi all

What is the recommended hours of light for a bubble tip? Or any reef tank for that matter?

14. tekkengal

Thanks guys :)
    Not looking to rush it, my timeline is to get one in December/January. My water quality is constant so far (no ammonia, No3 and No4; ca at 480).
    I'm just struggling to understand what the definition of a "matured tank" is. Is it when you added your last fish to the tank? No additional live rock, coral? The water column contains enough microfauna/flora to support an anemone (still need to search up on this to see if part their requirements)?
    Again, apologies if they are doff questions, googling it is giving me mixed responses as well and I would rather appear stupid and save an anemone than adding one and killing it in a few days :blush:

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I would add all you want to add to the system first...once all your major additions are added fish wise etc then look at the anemone as with no more added additions you will easier be able to gauge what your parameters are on a continual basis.

With the others Red Bubble Tip is my all time fav and always will be...not that big a fan of the Greens myself...find their colour a bit bland.

Here's a pic of my RBTA.

[​IMG]

16. tekkengal

Thanks, I am definitely considering the red one. You just put that pic in there to make me jealous, right? :lol:
    One last question: How big do they grow to? I see the one in your tank is quite large, it looks like it could take up half my tank o_O

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

They do grow pretty quickly under the right conditions...mine was about a 6th of that size when I first got it in Oct/Nov last year.

Good thing though is you could always frag it when it gets too big and make your money back on the clone. ;)

18. Ayoob

Ayoob

I would recommend you get a Sunburst Bubble Tip Anemone. In 5 months time will add myself one as well

[​IMG]

19. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

20. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

You've seen one like this locally? I've only ever seen that same pic on the net...would imagine its very rare.

Saw one very similar to this come into our LFS a little while back...but was more a red and green colour without the orange and purple running through it.

How are these ones for awesome!

[​IMG]

21. Ayoob

Ayoob

In 5 months ill show you the one in my tank:lol:

Recent Posts