Received a Generator as a present

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Lemar, 28 May 2009.

1. Lemar

Lemar

My father in law spoiled us with a nice big 5.5Kva generator over the weekend. :thumbup:
    What I would like to know is how Kevin can do the setup so that it automatically starts up in case of a power outage?
    What equipment will we need, what will it cost and how difficult will it be to do the setup?
    Pictures and ideas will be great....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Very very nice.

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Very nice, Lemar :thumbup:

The best way would be through the use of a "transfer switch". There are various models, with some still requiring manual starting, and other (more expensive) units being able to switch over from municipal power to gennie power, and then start the generator. It is important to have this installed by an electrician, as it is very dangerous (and illegal) to have both the generator and municipal/Eskom power connected at the same time.

If Keven really wanted to DIY it himself he could consider setting up a dedicated circuit just for the tank (don't energise the whole house!) normally closed two-pole "break-before-make" relay, with the house power energizing the relay, and connected to the "normally open" side of the contacts. This way, if the power goes out the relay will close, thus cutting off the house power and connecting the gennie power to the tank.

He will further need to disconnect the starter circuit of the gennie (at the key) and splice a second (12V) relay into this line, wired so that the 12V circuit to the starter is closed when the relay is activated. He will further need to install a variable time delay unit on this relay's coil energizing circuit, to only allow the relay to activate the starter motor for a short (but adjustable) time, just long enough for the engine to start. Lastly, he would have to install a third (230V coil) relay connected to a battery of some sort to generate the "start" pulse which will activate the variable time delay device.

It sounds pretty difficult as described above, but I'm sure that eny electrician will be able to figure this out. I can try to perhaps ecplain over the phone, but do not currently have time to make a circuit diagram (although perhaps I can do so over the weekend...)

Personally, I would suggest that you just do what I do: just operate the generator manually, when power outages last longer than an hour or two...), and use a lead or two to supply the power to the tank and wherever else you need it...

Oh, and one last thing (which you probably know already...) - never run the generator indoors, or in a closed garage, etc. It will flood the room with carbon monoxide, which is pretty lethal.

Hennie

6. Andreas

Andreas

Hennie, I wish I had your brain for a day:p

7. animalia

animalia

that makes two of us!:thumbup:

8. brettb2020

brettb2020

i like hennie's idea :) if you good with electrical, do it like that!

9. lIghty

lIghty

Hennie, very nice!

10. martinhal

martinhal

Lucky you , great prezzy. Like the glass of Klippies and Coke in the pic . Reefers are fearless water+electricty+Klippies :yeahdude:...... and thats our hobby....

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

great stuff, looks like your father in law treats you every month(fishies,generators ect).:thumbup:

12. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Sjo it sounds somewhat confusing. Maybe Kevin will have a better idea, i will let him read you're post. Thanks for the advice hennie. I would also say manual is probably the easiest way to go. My only concern is when we are away and the power cuts. But luckily then our alarm sends a warning sms, so then i can probably just arrange that someone switches on the gennie.

13. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

yes,yes i'm a lucky girl :) next time i pop around i think i should bring him along! that will save me a lot of $$$'s

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

:lol:lol:lol:

sounds great to me:thumbup:

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Very nice

Recent Posts