Real Reefer's 5g AIO DIY

Reaction score
Helo fellow reefers!

Hope you are well. I would like to share with all of you my new 5g AIO DIY build.

The Reef :
300mm (l) x 350mm (w) x 300mm (h) - Water level 270mm

AIO box:
300mm (l) x 80mm (w) x 300mm (h).

1. Overflow chamber: 50W heater and some filter floss
2. Filtration: Seachem matrix , purigen and carbon
3. Return pump: 230gph / 880lph
4. ATO: 0.32g / 1.2L with DIY double mini switch or single switch with optical sensor.

Circulation: Return pump for now. Still trying to figure if a MP-10 or Jebao SW-2 will work. Maybe way to big?
Light: DIY 54W led build
Substrate: Caribsea Seafloor special grade
Rock: Single piece of dry reef rock
Cabinet: DIY MDF

Rock and sand cleaned in a RO / bleach solution for 24 hours. Rinsed with RO and then soaked in seachem prime for another 24 hours to neutralize the bleach.

That's about it for now. I'll post a few pics of the progress so far.

Thanks for following!!

View attachment 189532

Last edited:
As promised. A few pics of the progress so far. Enjoy!

2017_1.jpg

2017_2.jpg

2017_3.jpg

2017_4.jpg

So the plan with this reef is to get it as stable as possible for the long run. I have integrated a 1.2L ATO chamber along with the rest of the back filtration and return pump.
I'm going to use a 6V DC dosing head with a DIY mini float switch setup for the top up. I also ordered a mini temp controller to control a 80mm PC fan for cooling.

This is the idea...

2017_20.jpg

A few more updates from my side. Rock and sand in 10l bucket with a bleach solution. With only 10min in it really shows how dirty it is.

2017_14.jpg

2017_15.jpg

24 hours later

2017_18.jpg

Last edited:
Wil love to see the progress on this setup following along. What's the plan with the tank stocking wise?

Wil love to see the progress on this setup following along. What's the plan with the tank stocking wise?

Thanks for following @Bray. I would like to go all out SPS on this one. The only problem i foresee at the moment will be flow. Flow will be the return only. That's about 880lph. Still thinking about a MP10 or Jebao SW-2. Not to sure about the actual size. The tank is quite small. :m03: I can always try and push the voltage on the flow pumps to the lowest. Maybe 8-10v giving me some room for flow adjustments.

Last edited:
Awesome tank. Welcome to MASA. Such a nice little setup and seems like you have it all planned nicely. I do think a mp10 will be a little too big. Will also take up a bit of space. I’ll add 2 little return pumps for flow. Maybe use a mod on them to create a wider flow angle. 3D printing would work a charm. Easier said than done though.

Awesome tank. Welcome to MASA. Such a nice little setup and seems like you have it all planned nicely. I do think a mp10 will be a little too big. Will also take up a bit of space. I’ll add 2 little return pumps for flow. Maybe use a mod on them to create a wider flow angle. 3D printing would work a charm. Easier said than done though.

Thanks @Charl_Stanhope . 3D printing is awesome. Possibilities are endless. I'll start off with using the return for flow and monitor the SPS. Got a like in some LPS too. Maybe a mix of the SPS and LPS. Only time will tell. :thumbup:

To the followers. A few more updates. Back AIO compartment finished! I used the square for 90's and then tagged the glass on the edges with hot glue to keep it up straight. Easy to remove and clean after the silicone dried.

2017_6.jpg

2017_7.jpg

2017_8.jpg

2017_5.jpg

Last edited:
Morning followers. Thought i'd share a few updates with pics. AIO and perspex front panel is in place. Return is 16mm fitted with a adjustable flow nozzle. Overflow slots are 6mm. Normally i do a 5mm but i wasn't sure if the overflow would handle the return on such a small overflow width. @Vleis Visagie confirmed that the flow is perfect and the water level pushes to about 270mm. I also covered the back and sides with black vinyl to finish it off. Enjoy!

2017_11.jpg

2017_12.jpg

2017_13.jpg

2017_10.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom