Real Ocean Salt

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am court at a crossroad, i was reading a thread when i came across something about REAL OCEAN salt.

It was said that the salt might be the course of cyno bacteria, as two people who used it said they had cyno and one person said that they had never used the salt and has never had cyno.
I am not saying that Real Ocean salt is the soul course of cyno but does it contribute at all. As i have some cyno and a little hair algae and although my turn over is good phos is on 0.00 and N03 is on 0, it wont go away is this because of the Real Ocean that i use in my water changes?

Does anyone have any experience with this at all or anything they can contribute?

If you steer the coarse salt on a course of 30 degrees to port it will bring you to the cause of the cyno....

Jason - I still only use NSW, and never have cyano problems.... it has EVERYTHING to do with excess nutrients/detritus/phosphates, and too little flow.... the substrate/rocks sometimes leach these.....

Thalion I will do that, I am thinking though of using NSW but testing it first eg phos and N03, i can get this week sometime, will see how it goes.

Was thinking of getting it from the research center, as i have heard good report about there water. Does anyone have any contact detail for me on them?

i blew my Lr clean and cyano came back, i changed my Lr with new LR and cyano is still here.( i did everything in the books)

yip it is the damn stupid salt

Just as a reality check, how good was your R/O water? and what percentage of water did your change - anything more than 10% can change the chemical status quo of the tank water, there are many reasons to get cyano, water/salt/top ups are but a few.

Hi Ocean i dont have the contact details but there times are mon-friday 9am - 12.30 and 13.30 to 15h00 and there water is pulled out very far they have these massive pipes that runs 500mts out into the ocean, i have tested there water par is ph8.4,alk 8,salinity 1026,amm o,nitrite o,nirate o i am currently using there water with no problems at all

I have been using Real Ocean for a few months now on two different tanks. The one had a bit of cyano a while ago, but it has since disappeared, and the other one does not have any trace of cyano whatsoever, it has about 100x turnover in flow, so maybe that helps a bit. Both tanks use the exact same batch of Real Ocean out of the same box.

i used Real Ocean for my last water change, it was all the shop had in stock. Going to be annoyed if i get cyano!

Some good news for guys getting water from research aquarium in sea point, they just revamped their filters and the water is looking perfect. A lot cleaner than its ever been.

Thanks for the help guys,

going to get water this week Imarine,

will keep everyone updated

Jacq im going to play it safe, i did use 2 oceans water, i had no problems with cyno before,

but as i said im going to play it safe for now.

Just as a reality check, how good was your R/O water? and what percentage of water did your change - anything more than 10% can change the chemical status quo of the tank water, there are many reasons to get cyano, water/salt/top ups are but a few.

Please READ AND LISTEN it is so easy to critsise if you do not have to substanciate your alegations. I have been using R O salt when I do not have NSW and no probs up to now.I would like it much more if we call a products name, state the problem with the product and also your own research results.

I think we have great suppliers on this site and we need to supply them with facts if we critisise to ensure they give us the service we are getting.

Huh?
00020070.gif

I don't think anybody is blaming any of our local suppliers, they just import the salt. What has been questioned is the possibility problem in Quality control. If some people can put melamine in expensive dog food and now milk and sweets what is stopping the manufactures scimping on the salt mix to save money.

Oh I have been using R O for over a year with no problem until this last batch.

I think it has also been stated the even the expensive brands change batch by batch.

Back
Top Bottom