Reading Trees get taken to court.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 25 Oct 2011.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Reading Trees Publications is being taken to court by Net Worth Media. The aplication states "Contract & Debt". Application no (502011CA016213XXXXMB). Not sure on all the details but I am sure they will surface shortly.

Reading Trees Publications is the publishing company owned by Anthony Calfo and has published a number of Aquarium books.

Info from this site.

http://courtcon.co.palm-beach.fl.us/pls/jiwp/ck_public_qry_cpty.cp_personcase_setup_idx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I tried it with Firefox, doesn't work.
    Internet explorer does work.

4. sihaya

sihaya

How did you find this? lol

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Yes sihaya, I came across an old SA thread that a few members enquired into the aleged plagerisum roumers between Calfo and Fenner. I was just looking up to see if Bob Fenner actually sued Anthony Calfo from the reported feud between the two in 2009. Do you have any info on the outcome?

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/05/15/bob-fenner-anthony-calfo-court/

6. sihaya

sihaya

Oh, I remember that. Yeah, I don't think BobF would have ever actually taken him to court for that, but who knows?

It's funny to me how overly litigous a lot of aquarists seem to be. And I'm a lawyer!

7. Nemos Janitor

Hmm...

8. Nemos Janitor

@sihaya, integrity is a big part of the marine keeping industry. Each try's to make a difference for the betterment of the species we try to keep. Some for financial gain, some to put bread on the table, others for personal achievement and then those for pure self satirisation. In any case, it takes a lot of time, effort and money to research topics. I can therefor, understand why every pioneer is so protective over their work. They want to share but be recognised and acknowledged.

We do not know the full details of the application. You, as a lawyer, might know, and point us in the direction of, better details in the application.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. sihaya

sihaya

Are we still talking about Calfo?

If you're talking about novel inventions in general, sure, I understand that. However, I'm not sure how many true "inventions" there have been in this hobby in the past decade or two. Certainly there are novel designs and new applications to things -- and these ideas and innovations certainly deserve our thanks, respect and admiration. Do they always warrant a patent? I don't think so. The primary purpose of a patent is to help an inventor recoup development costs (and to have some incentive of expected profit) for a new, non-obvious and useful invention. In some industries, these development costs can be astronimical and if they couldn't patent their developments, they just wouldn't go through the trouble.

How often do you think that's the case in the marine aquarium hobby?

I'm still not sure we're why we seem to be talking about patents now, but yeah, a patent application is no small task. What's also important to understand is that just because you apply for and obtain a patent, that doesn't necessarily mean the patent is valid (at least, not in the US). The US patent office doesn't thoroughly analyze patent applications for the actual validy of the patent-ability of the invention (i.e. is the invention useful, non-obvious, novel, etc.).

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  10. Nemos Janitor

Oh is the application about a patient infringement?

11. sihaya

sihaya

Haha, no, I don't think so. This just looks like Calfo's business apparently being brought to court for contract/debt issues. But, honestly, I can't really tell for sure what this is about because none of the documents are available online.

Recent Posts