READ. This flies in the face of what we believe in

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 18 Oct 2013.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wizard$

Wizard$

Unbelievable!!! I wonder is there in anyone in SA with similar experiences?

4. shan

shan

A good point made in that thread is "the key is stability".

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I understand & relate 100% with his experience.
    Throughout all of my test that ive done regarding nitrates/ phosphates / nutrients... Time after time, the worse algae outbreaks was when I had the lowest nutrients...
    & I can take it one step further...
    2 months ago... I switched off my skimmer on my frag system as a test as it always seemed as if the corals were "starving".
    2 months later, my SPS's are flourishing, growing faster than ever, & has brighter coloration than ive ever seem on them...

I personally believe we are completely "OVERSTERILIZING" our tanks, & then we try getting color back into the corals by burning them with overpowered light units...

Im busy writing an article about a couple of observations ive made regarding this exact same experiences that this guy had...

Will post it in a couple weeks.

Thanks for sharing @carlosdeandrade!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. mandarinman

mandarinman

I test and question everything until I am sure it works for my specific tank.... having different opinions doesnt make any friends thats for sure. It is cool to see people questioning commonly accepted reefing practices as some have been disproved or improved on through close examination

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Yep, finding what works for each tank is critical in long term success...

Being skeptical of new ideas / advice from someone else, & testing everything before implementing is the best way to prevent catastrophe in a tank.

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

this is my experience.. in my 40L nano i was dosing NOPOX and doing regular water changes after some time i noticed that some of my Zoas are bleaching and eventually they died off, also i was never able to keep SPS, within days of introducing it to mu tank it would turn white and die off as well.
    now for the past one month i have not done water change (please do not crucify me i'm monitoring my livestock closely for signs of stress) and have also stopped with the NOPOX and feeding Reef Energy A&B.

you can see in the picture. this SPS has been dead for months only reason why it was still in the tank is because it was well stuck and i was lazy to remove it. It was completely white with no polyps whatsoever.. in the past two weeks it has started turning green again and i can see the polyps coming out all over it. my phone does not take nice pictures any more don't know why but i can tell you that now its looking almost as good as when i first got it.

IMG_20131016_200647.jpg

IMG_20131016_200647.jpg

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

in the mean time i've been dosing Microblift bacteria twice a week, and feeding coral food only once a week compared to everyday while i was dosing NOPOX

Last edited: 18 Oct 2013
  10. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

@HOT SAUCE if your sps had truly died nothing you can do would bring it back. Unless it is a zombie sps :eek:

It must have been very bleached due one of many reasons eg light, water parameters, temp ect. However glad to see its getting some colour back means something is now going right

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. mandarinman

mandarinman

I
    @hotsauce I am glad you found a solution YOU are happy with. When dosing all the cool things like nopox things can unintentionally turn bad if you dont adjust and watch for response adjust and wait for response ..ooops reduce a little.... test.......adjust.......

Last edited: 18 Oct 2013
  12. pkc

pkc

My first fully algae run tank had readings of phos off the charts as well during an experiment for just under a year with no water changes, no nitrates though and the pic is what it looked like during that time.
    It wouldn’t work during the first six months of maturing?, but after that it became really weird and I pushed the boundaries even more and no deaths or unwanted algae occurred.
    I would trim the incredibly fast growing algae and treat it with hot tap water and put it back in via a stocking bag to break down in the water and when it was time for the next trim I swapped the old rotting algae for new algae cuttings into that same bag, geez did it stink!!!
    I wouldn’t advise it though, I don’t know why it worked for that time, it was just to see what would come from balancing nutrients like I do with my trade in horticulture and what made up the algae and what it photosynthesised nutrients into, all went back in as it rotted.
    No dosing except iodide and water neutralised from the tap, no RO water during that time, I don't know exactly why it worked for that time?????.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Oct 2013
  13. mandarinman

mandarinman

All those phosphates from tap water couldnt have helped but I dont think we understand enough. I love new or varying info that challenges our thinking

Recent Posts