Reactors ?

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals

How important is it to have carbon , phospahte , calcium and nitro reactors when setting up for the first time ?

Are they a must have, or can you install them at a later stage ?

u can install them at a later stage. imo i think it is importants to run carbon,phosphate and a form of denitrification. if you are going to run a dsb, start from the begging so that it can mature.

Last edited:
At a later stage would be fine, Nitrate Reactors are not necessary if you run a DSB IMO.

You can even put carbon in a stocking in your overflow instead of a reactor if you like, I do both, you can run phosphate media like this too

I was new to the game and filled my tank with tap water - bad advice from a local pet shop owner. Had endless problems with various algae types - got myself a phosphate remover and some Rowaphos and bought a little reactor unit from Ryan @ Guppies for Yuppies over the net - see link below

Filter Media Reactors | Guppies for Yuppies

Cheap and works really well for all sorts of media. (suggest the 1L unit) I definately think you need a phosphate reactor and carbon to start. And be patient - I know I was'nt and it cost me!

yeah - just upgraded to the 1L for keeping Rowaphos - works much better than the 500ml - all that messy media sits in three of these little units and they dont take up much space - if you run one powehead and daisy chain them you can save on the number of poweheads required to drive the water through them.

Not really a priority in the beginning stages, although they are beneficial to your aquarium. If you can afford it then go for it, otherwise you can do without them as long as you keep doing regular waterchanges.

I would say carbon is useful, as is a phosphate remover although if you have a budget put these in a tube or sock and spend more on skimmer, lights and good circulation.

agree with Bob.on my previous setups always ran carbon and po4 remover in a stocking,it does the trick.but now with the reactor,makes life much easier.just remember to kneed (spelling) the stocking every 2-3 days

Last edited:
does the stocking work just as well as the reactor?

Most probably not as well but it does work, and that money is better spend on a better skimmer or so for now:)

Most probably not as well but it does work, and that money is better spend on a better skimmer or so for now:)

Would have to agree, Obviously the reactors would be the best choice, but the stocking is a good "bang for your rand". Rather spend your money on getting a GOOD skimmer to start off with.;)

Hi Guys & Gals

How important is it to have carbon , phospahte , calcium and nitro reactors when setting up for the first time ?

Not necessary at all. The reactors are unreasonably expensive at R600 bucks a pop and then you must still fit with a powerhead. Stocking does the job admirably thank you.

we are talking about reactors and media such as carbon and po4 remover,whats in your head :p

I run carbon passively. Allow flow of sump to run past /through it. Reactors are cool but not necessary.

Hi Guys & Gals

Nitrate Reactor - Nice to have Natural Nitrate Reduction is the way to go. Go for a Deep Sand Bed with Chaeto (spelling) and that will be far cheaper than any nitrate reactor

Carbon / Phosphate remover - A stocking works well but IMO if you can get a reactor (like the g4y resun reactors) go for it.

Calcium Reactor - IMO another Nice to Have. Going to cost an arm and a leg to get kitted out (Co2, Solenoid, Regulator, media, reactor, pump, controller).
Kalking works well and there are many options for your alk.

I would do as Kanga says. Get the biggest skimmer you can afford. Nothing like overkill on a skimmer !

Back
Top Bottom