Reactor Media

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Qaiser, 20 May 2011.

1. Qaiser

Qaiser

Can i use phosgaurd, carbon and purigen in the same reactor, separate bags. im staring to have a nitrate issue. My skimmer has stopped working since i added the reactor think its the silicone in the tubing

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you can use different media in the same reactor it just becomes a mission to change as the carbon needs replenishing more often than the phos media.. get the skimmer going again asap..

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you can use them all in the same reactor in separate bags, but what doesnt make sense is the link to your skimmer? how is it setup?

5. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

its not linked to the skimmer but i think the silicone residue or maybe it wasnt dry properly thus maybe the oils causing the skimmer to stop. wont the purigen cause the carbon stop working or vice versa

6. Tony

Tony

Is the a fluidised bed reactor?

I have personally found the purigen beads to be too light to work in a fluidised bed as they float out leaving a mess in your tank and also like the guys said the carbon needs to be changed more frequently than GFO which is a waste and the purigen can be regenerated which will also be a shame to haver to throw it out needlessly.

7. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

im using an otto fluidized filter with very low flow and both media is in separate bags at the moment so maintenance isnt an issue for me. im just concerned about whther purigen will have an effect on the carbon an if both can be used at the same time

8. Tony

Tony

The purigen is going to float out. I've tried it already in a otto reactor unless you put the purigen in a bag which defeats the object of a fluidised filter. You need to ask yourself why your nitrates are rising and get to the source of the problem.

Why has your skimmer suddenly stopped working and what skimmer is it?
    What are your nitrates now compared to before?
    Are you carbon dosing with probiotics?
    Have you had a recent death in the tank?
    Do you use a DSB, ATO or refugium for nutrient export?

9. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

The purigen i intend to buy are those ones that comes in the bag already. I use two oceans water which comes with some some nitrates free of charge:lol:. no deaths in the tank and im using a ts1. the skimmer performed quiet well before the reactor so the only thing that i can think of is the silicone that hasnt set properly because oils in your tank does stop the skimmer.

10. Tony

Tony

What are your nitrates like?

11. Tony

Tony

Also what is your skimmer doing or not doing?

12. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

its on +-50. not getting any skimmate. the tank is fine and this is the first time im testing my water so just thougth i'd get purigen.[​IMG]

13. Tony

Tony

Your nitrates are high. What were they before your skimmer problems? Is your skimmer producing bubbles? Are the bubbles fine or large insize? How high does the skimmer cup go up the riser tube which is the tube that empties into the skimmer cup.

I could suggest that you take the skimmer apart, checking the pump for blockages, dirt or something trapped on the needle wheel. If this is dirty or has some blockage then you skimmer should be better. If not, check the venturi inlet to your skimmer whihc is where the pipe that takes in into the pump joins the pump could be blocked with salt or something else. A bit of warm water and vinegar should sort this out as well as cleaning it with a toothpick. Also check the silencer part for any dirt build up becasue as it sucks air it sucks dirt from the outside. If this doesnt help then take the whole skimmer boots and all and place it in a basin with hot tap water and any cheap vinegar and let the skimmer run for about thirty minutes to remove any oils that may have built up. Rinse it well adn let use know.

To reduce your nitrates you can go the probiotic route with products like stability or prodibio and vodka. I have zero nitrates and phosphates and I only use carbon with no phosphate remover or purigen

14. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

thanks the skimmer is producing bubble i think ill run it in vinegar to get rid of the oils though. Does stability actually reeduce nitrates as the algea bloow has started a month or two after i stopped stability. which wouldbe the better option stability or purigen

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What nitrate test kit are you using? Is the expiry date still ok?

16. toppdogg

toppdogg

i am with tobes on this check the date
    with nitrates that high it would have an effect on live stock
    just my 2 c

17. Tony

Tony

Stability is a good product. Use it in conjunction with vodka for best result. Start with a codka dose of 0.5ml per 100 litres for two weeks then increase it to 1ml per 100l thereafter

18. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

Salifert and its not expired

19. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

20. Tony

Tony

Qaiser, are you talking about algae or cyanobacteria? Is it possible to take a pic or two?

21. Qaiser

Qaiser Thread Starter

Recent Posts