Re-Setup

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by marinenoob, 3 Jul 2011.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi All,

So last year some time i had a major failure and lost almost all my livestock except my coral beauty and crabs. I was fighting off large amounts of GHA and eventually left the tank to cycle for about four months and left all my LR in the sump and did regualr water changes. Its been almost year now since my problems started and my tank is once again up and running. One last addition i will be making is a DSB but that requires an entire sump change. At current i have a 280l DT and a 80L sump. Fish include a Yellow Tang, Regal Tang, Coral Beauty, clown fish, and a goby. I also have 2 hermits and a cleaner shrimp and corals for which i do not know all the names to. I have noticed an massive changes to my LR since removing them from the sump into the DT and also noticed they are turning a maroonish purple quickly. Could this be the Coraline Algae forming or some other algae? i am attaching some pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome mate! Yip coraline algae.. you get it in different colours with purple and pink being the most common

4. Annoying

Annoying

Looking good could you please take a pic to the maroonish algae you are talking about. If it's the last pic then I'm not so sure about coraline, could be the early stages of cyano. Just to make sure, just rub with your finger over an algae you don't know if it comes off easily it's most of the time cyano or gha. If it doesn't come of at all or very hard to then it's a calcium based algae and most likely coraline.

5. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

I have tried rubbing and scraping to test as my previous failure started with a cyano outbreak. The stuff is quite hard though. My only concerns is that while my LR was in the sump they all became pretty pale in colour probably due to lack of light. This growth of colour is quite rapid like as in two months. As i understand coraline takes a while to form.

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Not always, i have just redone my DT about 2 months back and also used rock from my sump, also very pale, and the coraline has covered them very quickly indeed.

7. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

Do you think placing LR in the sump initially maybe speeds up the coraline growth process? My tank was running almost two years before everything failed and i never saw this type of growth until now.

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I dont think so, i think it may have to do with your system being that much more stable. Some folk myself included believe that it will take up to a year for your tank to fully cycle and balance itself out.

Recent Posts