Re scaping

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by maj, 4 Jan 2010.

1. maj

maj

My tank has been running for 3 months now,got some livestock,but iv decided that my LR needs to be moved around/rescuplted.(ned to allow more flow thru LR)
    would this cause a mini cycle to occur??(im not intending to remove the LR,just move it about inside the tank)

Should i take out my Livestock,as its quite abit of moving around im gona do,or leave them in?

Livestock
    2 dancing shrimp
    Cleaner wrasse
    Foxface
    African Clown

various soft corals

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

no dont remove livestock. Just remove rock from the tank and rescape. As long as rock is not out of water for too long you wont get a cycle ;)

4. crispin

crispin

as matt says, leave the LS in. you can easily take the rocks out to change the order if you want. I just place them in a bucket with sopme old tank water and then change the order as i want, and then replace the water with new salt water, effectively doing a water change at the same time:)

5. maj

maj Thread Starter

thnks buddy

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Just a note on this, which is more of a warning. Be carefull not to become a "re-scaping addict" as like to call it. I was there with my previous tank, and found myself re-arranging the tank every second day!!!

This is VERY stressful on the fish, and your coral never really get a chance to settle and grow, as they are moved around the whole time.

What I suggest is this: decide on what you want to keep in the tank, and sketch a rough sketch of what your scaping should look like. Then, start drawing in (with a coloured pen or crayon) your corals that you plan to keep, and where you plan to keep them. Once you are happy, stick this drawing up the wall next to the tank, and work from that.

Trust me, that habbit of moving stuff around is worse than any drug out there, and once hooked, it's hard to stop, which will ultimately lead to disaster IMO.

Good luck!!! :thumbup:

7. maj

maj Thread Starter

thnks for the heads up Jaco,as iv already seen the start of the resculpting addiction.
    Before i start doin anything,iv been browsing sites to get ideas and finalize what look i want and whats best for all my inhabitants.
    Esp with the foxface in my tank who gets stressed out by EVRYTHING,so minimal interferences in the tank is ideal for him.
    iv noticed when moving my leathers around,that they only open 2-3 days later.

BTW,Stunning NPS tank dude....wish i could have that dedication to feeding those guys!!

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Thanks for the compliment...

Do your research and stick with it. It really helps you in the long run. You will always have wet fingers, as you will always add / remove corals, frags etc. but minimum interference is prefferable.

My current tank is scaped in such a way that there are no real "loose" rock, so I can move things around - hehehehe ;)

9. maj

maj Thread Starter

like ur tank layout....but for me to connect/mould that type of rockwork will just create choas...im not really a DIY guy,lol.

il see how far pratley putty can take me.:)
    Il post pics with my final design...ope i can achieve it

Recent Posts