Re-introducing Aragonite

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 2 Aug 2011.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Guys,
    I redid my display tank about 2 months ago, leaving the aragonite I used as substrate in a bucket, rinsing it with a hosepipe about 4 times over the last month .
    I would like to return it to my display, but was wondering what is gonna be a good way to really clean it???
    There is a definate sulfur crappy smell coming out of the bucket when I rinse and the water goes grey whenever I do this??
    I heard the best is to spread it out over plastic or something and let it dry in the sun for a few weeks... but dogs in the garden, and other reasons are making me not wanna do this.
    Can I microwave it or bake it in the oven???
    Ideas???:blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

tagging

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Mmmm, Hydrogen Sulfide, bacteria are either dead or dying or because of lack of O2 you have some denitryfing bacteria that are doing their job. You will need to clean before placing it back. Not sure about the baking or microwave part, anyone have any other ideas?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

bleach it my friend, it will assit in steralising the substrate, then wash off well, its a tiedious task but it will work well

oh and it will be white white ne :)

6. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

You mean actually use bleach:blush:??

7. Tony

Tony

Bleach it like Les says but wash the sand in small batches to make the task a bit more easy and thorough than trying to do the whole lot. Small batches also makes it easier to stir the gravel thoroughly. After batch washing all the sand in bleach, put all the sand together in a bucket with freshwater, use a good dechlorinator and leave it overnight. Repeat the process if there is still a chlorine smell the next day

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

I've decided not to rush re-introducing Aragonite,
    So what I'm doing at the moment is Ive spread out some black binbags in a safe place on my back courtyard where da dogs can't get to it!
    Spread out the aragonite thin and am going to leave it about 2 weeks to dry, get rain on whatever and then decide... maybe rinse in a big bucket of sea water?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm doing the same this weekend coming.
    Re-introducing aragonite into my display.
    Also some old DSB sand into new sump
    Plus about 50% extra new playsand to fill the new sump.

So far I did wash the old playsand. It was in a big drum for 10 months. and definitely had black areas (almost all below the surface) that had the smell. I washed it in 3L units in a salt bucket with a hosepipe. Until the water was clear. Redoing it again this weekend.

What was strange. I did clean out 4 months ago some sand and kept that in a separate bucket. That sand is almost yellowish white. The sand I only cleaned for the first time last weekend still have a black look to it. Will wash it again this Saturday and report.

And I need to wash the new sand plus 84kg araganite.

Just realized...
    I'm going to break my back... Must ensure ample supplies of
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  10. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah for sure Riaan, Messy Job always done better with beers!!!:1:

11. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Just an update on cleaning my aragonite this way!!!
    I put it out in the sun, Rain etc for about a week now and firstly visibly it has gone pure white again and when I grab a handful there is lots of loose dust that sifts through it...
    This plan seems to be working... gonna leave for a few more days, sift it with a siv and put it in a bucket of fresh seawater for a day or 2 and churn up occasionally and see from there!:blush:

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  12. leslie hempel

Brent, this will work to an extent and you will achiece a visable difference BUT...

if decaying matter gets trapped into the tiny pores of the aragonite (granual size dependant) it will leach out when reintroduced into the DT and you may be plauged with GHA which will grow to absorb the leaching matter..

i would bleach then dry then rinse then dry..

you will never get all the nasties out 100% but you can try limit the GHA by this method and the use of a good skimmer..

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I cleaned old used aragonite last weekend. In display now for 10 days. So far, tank is clean and no nasties visible at all. No algae, and no cayno.

I washed it in tapwater on Saturday. Then I did a final rinse in old saltwater Sunday morning. And then I added it.

This is on my second display. Only Hermits, snails and 2 cleaner shrimps are in there at the moment.

14. leslie hempel

what you do today does not necessarily show up tomorrow.. lets assess after a month or 2, hoping for the best for you ;)

15. leslie hempel

oh and to add... im sure with the use of bacterial boosters it would assit in consuming any leftovers so its never been a better time to recycle aragonite for reuse ;)

16. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Given me an Idea!! maybe a super dose of special blend and a pump in a bucket for a few days?:blush:

17. leslie hempel

mmm definatley not ruling it out as an option.. keep us updated? maybe a skimmer instead of a pump or in conjunction with one...

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And note, my second display is part of my system. Connected to main system sump. Also I have another remote DSB, 1.2m tank. Also connected to main sump. So bacteria load and growth would be rapid. And the live rock in the second display is already on cycle mode since January.

But, yes, would like to see some algae growth, snails need some food.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
Recent Posts