Re establishing zooaxthela within bleached organisms.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by crispin, 1 Mar 2012.

1. crispin

crispin

Hi Sihaya i was wondering if you or a colleague will perhaps know the method by which a bleached coral or anemone can re-establish its symbiotic algae once they have been expelled and the organism is totally bleached. Do some very small part stay behind and it gets regenerated or are they ingested and re establish that way. Any idea on the process?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as far as I know they re-ingest them. Some mature corals release excess Zooxanthellae. And others take them up again. Some Zooxanthellae differ in colour and that might explain certain corals changing colour on our tanks over time. Some Zooxanthellae are not compatible with some corals and that is why it is better to have corals all from the same area. Zooxanthellae expelled from mushrooms can be used by other types of corals like SPS, especially if from same region. And that is why for anemones, it is advised that a tank must be a matured system of at least 8 months. So that excess Zooxanthellae are around that is expelled by mushrooms for example.

This is from a link I read 2 years ago, to find it... mission impossible.

4. rakabos

rakabos

5. Quintin

Quintin

Yip, you are 100% correct.
    Here is an article done by the Buffalo University on the subject.
    Corals Can Reestablish Symbiosis with Algae from Their Environments after Bleaching - UB NewsCenter

crispin likes this.
  6. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

intresting read, thanks Quintin. I had heard of re injestion, but i am wondering if there is anything (other than the obvious husbandry with good water quality and light etc) that can be done to help bleached nennies to recover their colour. That article mentions something added to the water but not exactly what. and thats on corals, although i guess its the same for nennies.

7. sihaya

sihaya

Ditto what Quin and Riaan have said. Also, I'd add that I think it's fairly rare for a coral to bleach out 100%. Most bleached corals I've seen still have at least some zoanthella in them. If/when a coral does totally and completely bleach out (i.e. absolutely no zoanthella), I doubt it has much a chance of recovery.

8. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

and nennies? a white one is doomed or how do we coax it back to life? I have two clients with bleached nennies and i would like to help them back to life.

9. Quintin

Quintin

Hey man.
    My wife has a special talent for bleaching corals.
    Tank up and running and all parameters are 100%.
    Come back from a two week business trip and 99% of the corals are bleached or upside-down in the sand ....
    :whistling:

10. Quintin

Quintin

Taken from A Short Beginners Guide To Anemone Keeping - UltimateReef.com

"The most commonly observed bleached anemone is Heteractis crispa. These animals arrive in your LFS an aesthetic white, but this is never their true colour; they should be a fawn/tan colour, or less commonly pink, green or silver/grey.

A supply of energy/nutrition for an anemone comes from the sugars made in the process of photosynthesis by the zooxanthellae. It doesn't take much to work out that if there are no zooxanthellae, there is a reduction in food. Where there are no other nutrition/energy routes, the anemone slowly starves to death, but in an attempt to survive they absorb their own mass, and hence the animal shrinks. One of the most striking example of this is the consumption of an anemones own tentacles. In bleached animals, you often find unusually short tentacles when compared to healthy specimens.

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes a long time and commitment by the aquarist. In the first instance, excellent water quality should be provided. Lighting should be of the optimal strength, although initially, it would be best to acclimate the animal to stronger light over a period of time. Feeding should be regular, say every other day, and should only be in small quantities (10mm cube for an animal of less than 300mm say). Flow should be restricted slightly in case the animal has trouble attaching/feeding.

Over time, if one is lucky, a gradual change in colour should occur. This is the recovery of the zooxanthellae and is a very good sign. The colour change may be uniform, or it may be sporadic across the animal, but eventually, if all conditions are right, the entire animal will become "as new"."

crispin likes this.
  11. Quintin

Quintin

OK.
    Got this guy from one of the LFS.
    Lets see if I can get it back to health....
    [​IMG]

12. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

i should think that coral has a good chance to recover, there seems to be a fair amount of colour in parts which can spread. Good luck with it, lovely looking colony too :)

13. Quintin

Quintin

Thanks @crispin.
    The side facing the camera has a fair bit or colour but the rest of if is white.
    Lets see if it will recover without any fragging......
    Here is a view from the other side of the tank...
    [​IMG]

And here is a top view.
    Still some colour left, so may not be too late...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

it certianly should have enough flow and light in that possie!

15. Quintin

Quintin

OK.
    Here is an update on the wild bleached coral I got from Dorry Pets.
    As expected the coral had quite a bit of die-off but feeding it on a regular basis and keeping the water parameters stable has paid off.

Will be fragging the coral in the next couple of weeks and cutting off the dead bits once I have a bit more growth.....
    [​IMG]

16. mandrin

mandrin

hi bud coral looking great now if u dont mind tellin me wat did u add any supplements to your water or wat in detail did u do to make this coral turn around thanks

Last edited: 5 Sep 2012
  17. Quintin

Quintin

Hey man.
    Added some amino acids to help boost the growth, will find the name of the stuff for you.
    And just kept the water parameters very stable.
    Plus loads of patience...

18. mandrin

mandrin

thanks Quintin i await those name of amino acids
    great stuff bud

19. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I have a question regarding zooaxthela;
    say you have healthy zoa's and you get a bleached nennie that needs to feed on whatever available zoo there is in one's system, would it affect the healthy zoa's seeing that it (the nennie) is consuming more in order to recover?

20. rakabos

rakabos

If anyone can answer that I will give them a beer, wait make that 2 beers :whistling:

21. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

and a Bells... :whistling:

Recent Posts