re-establishing an existing tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Thane, 10 Dec 2008.

1. Thane

Thane

Hi all,
    I have just bought my first marine tank and need some urgent advice. The tank is 300l with skimmer and a number of filters. The guy I bought it from caught the fish (6 in all, 1 anemone) and sent them to a pet shop to board. He then drained the tank, cleaned the filter components and I collected the tank, transported it dry 100km and then we filled it with clean sea water and re-established every thing the following day. The idea is for me to go to the petshop (now 5 days later) and collect the fish.

My concern is that all the bacteria in the system have been destroyed by "cleaning" the tank. I have just added a bacteria stimulator, 4 days after refilling the tank, but think this may not be enough to prepare the tank for fish.

I have received conflicting advice from the petshop owners, my question is, when will the tank be ready for the fish?

Thanks,
    Thane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. keyaam

keyaam

Welcome to MASA. Once the tank has gone through its cycle you can add fish but slowly. It takes from about 4 - 6 weeks to cycle. Ask the petshop to hold onto it till then

Recent Posts