Re-designed surface skimmer

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Paul B, 18 Jun 2013.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I don't have a sump but I still need to skim the surface of my tank and for many years I used this home made surface skimmer. The strainer on the bottom right side lets in some water but not enough, I let the rest of the water overflow into the top to skim the water. When the water in the device gets lower it creates more suction and more water is forced through the strainer on the side.
    There is a powerhead that sucks water out of the tube on the left side and directs it to the large HOB protein skimmer then back to the tank via the algae trough. The problem is that without a sump, the water level in the tank varies a little from day to day even though I have an auto fill.
    The surface usually has a film on it because this model was not automatically adjustable so sometimes the top of the unit was to deep and sometimes it was just above the water. To correct this I added a new top that is connected with floats so the top of the surface skimmer is just slightly below the water at all times so it very effectively skims the thinnest top surface film off the water. It will clear a film covering the entire top of the 6' long tank in a couple of minutes. My tank gets a film because I feed oily food every day like live worms and fish oil soaked pellets. I don't like those surface skimmers with the square teeth as they do not skim the very top surface very well.
    This is the old model with the rigid top
    [​IMG]
    New model with the two adjustable floats.
    [​IMG]
    And how it sits in the tank skimming just the top fraction of an inch off the surface. I have been toying with this for many years and I think this prototype is perfect. If I get time I will build a better looking model.
    [​IMG]

tekkengal likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

great idea to add the float. please tell me why do you need the strainer on your old skimmer. is it in case the water level drops below the skimmer line and in that case it will not be needed in the new design. also wouldn't the surface skimmer be more effective if the stainer is not there forcing more water through the top but i see on your last picture that the strainer is still there even in the new design

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

This is interesting, something like this woukd solve the issue i am currently having with my smaller tank that doesn't accommodate surface skimming. Thanks for sharing!

5. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

The strainer is needed to add most of the water to the device. The surface part just overflows a slight amount of water in the thinnest possable film and it is not enough to supply my protein skimmer that this thing feeds. As the water level in the device falls, there is less preasure inside so more water is forced through the strainer keeping the water level in the tube constant. The surface skimming potential is to finicky to keep the thing filled so I use that strainer on the side for most of the water. Also for some reason if the water level dropped below the top of the device the strainer will keep adding water to it so my pump does not burn out. Sometimes my auto fill fails and the tank water drops a little or if I change water I don't have to shut the system down because water will keep flowing into it from the strainer.

That feeds this protein skimmer.
    [​IMG]

6. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

OK so I had to build a new surface skimmer because I built a bio pellet reactor and the plumbing wasn't condusive for the surface skimmer. I used the old top from the last surface skimmer. This one has an adjustment in it so that I can turn a screw and adjust the water level inside the device. Most of the water enters from the screen at the bottom. There is an adjustable screw above it that is accessable with a screwdriver from the top. The rest of the water overflows in a very thin film over the floating part at the top with the floats. I replaced the stainless steel hardware with nylon because the stainless was to heavy and it didn't float correctly.

[​IMG]

The offset tube goes to the bio pellet reaction chamber which is an experiment.
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts