RBTA's & GBTA's in the Same Tank

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Kunhardt, 27 May 2011.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi @Anemone

Can you shed some light on the whole rumour that you cant keep RBTA's and GBTA's in the same tank?

I have read and heard mixed stories with regard to keeping them together, I have seen pics of tanks with both colours in the same tank and everthing is fine and yet I have heard stories of chemical warfare between the two if kept in the same tank and its usually always the RBTA that lands up dying.

A local reefer I know used to breed both species for years and had more than 20 of each colour at one point, until one day he placed a GBTA in the tank with his RBTA's and he landed up loosing all but one of the RBTA's.

Are there factors that would cause the two to fight if the stories are true in some circumstances?

Reason I ask this is I have had a RBTA for a long time now and brought it back from the size and colour of a golf ball to a BIG bright red beauty and am thinking of adding a GBTA that my friend is selling, to my tank...after all the RBTA has been through I would hate to kill it by adding the GBTA is the stories are true.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

tagging

4. Seabass

Seabass

Mark ask Shaun, his friend Andrew breads or use to bread them, I am sure that they killed each other when he added the green one. Lost most of his breading stock of rbt's.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Yip, Andrew is who I am refering to above. I know what his tanks were like though, that's why I was wondering if it wasn't factors that influenced the green killing the reds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

BTA's

Hi Kunhardt,

I realise your question was for Anemone however just thought I would share that I currently have both in a tank and no ill effects have been noted.

Cheers,

Jimbo.

7. Seabass

Seabass

Sorry mark skim reading again.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

More feed back the better, if there are people that are successfully keeping the two together I would like to know.

Jimbo what size tank is it and how far apart are the two anems?

:tt2:

9. student

student

very interesting thread.
    tagging along here

10. keyaam

keyaam

I have three different types and everythings fine. They are two gbta's with different colour tips and a rbta. They close to each other and i have seen no ill effects

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

So if most people say they keep them together with no problems where do the stories of them killing each other come from? I am tempted now to give it a try, but will wait on anemone and see what she has to say.
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Anemone

Anemone

The best possible option is always keeping clones together. However, many have kept both together safely for several years. Chemical warfare is always a possibility. Water quality and tank mates can also lead to problems, and actually be the cause. A tank full of softies capable of chemical warfare, may be more harmful than mixing anemones.

If it were me, and both were healthy, parameters, equipment, tankmates, etc, were all where they need to be, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. However, you need to know when to pull one from the system.

In the case of your friend who lost all the RBTAs...propagated anemones do release toxins, which can foul the water quickly. They should not be mixed with other anemones (or fish, if propagating more than a few) What was his propagation schedule like? Had he recently propagated? Was the tank over stocked with anemones? How big was the system? Running carbon, etc?

Propagation weakens anemones (temporarily), the weaker anemones have less chance of survival when something goes wrong. Were all anemones properly healed and eating well before the new addition?

Kunhardt likes this.
  13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mark, boomer always ran substandard skimmers (macro aqua) i think this is where his problem lay as he dident skim visiously enough for a frag system

14. AndrévN

AndrévN

I bought a RBTA and GBTA the same day and added them and haven't seen any problems whatsoever kunhart and they within 10cm of each other. I also have three other different anemones in my tank, so i have 5 different nemmies in a 1,5m tank. I have however changed my salt to tropic marine bio-actif as they said that this would help with the effects of war-fare of all leathers and nemmies and it works great and been using it for 3 or 4 months now. I also added carbon to the return chamber upped the flow rate over my dsb and skimming slightly more, as i have more fish stock than always and i seriously overfeed my fish. I do agree with the fact that leathers pose a bigger threat than nemmies regarding chemicals as i have had a problem with my pincushion and i think the sarcophyton is the culprit as the 4 other ones away from the sarco is doing well. i keep sps, palys, schrooms, hammer, brain, zenia, kenyan tree, finger leather, sarco, pin cushion, blasto, clams, elegance,zoas, moon coral, favia green star polyps and two other corals i dont know the name of. I have a breeding pair of 3 spotted danios, breeding pair of african tomato clowns plus 1 extra male, regal, scopas, orange shoulder, sailfin and powder blue tang, yellow tail damsel, royal gramma, 3 chromis and anthia. I dont know 20snails, 20 crabs schrimp and loads of bristle stars around 30 of them and 100 of an unknown star fish. Spaghetti worms. Coco worms to name some of the stuff in here and they all blossom, the danios and clowns lay eggs at least once a month so the water wont be foul i think. The clowns host in all 5 the nemmies everyday and the play in all 5 of them and make turns at it. O and a long spine sea urchin to top it off. LOL.

Last edited: 27 May 2011
  15. Jimbo

Jimbo

BTA's

[​IMG]

This is a thread on Reefcentral which may be of interest to you. I have mine fairly close together not touching each other though and they are 100%.

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back.

Couple of questions...when u say tank mates could be a problem how so and in what form? And would this generally apply to anemones being kept or do you mean when u are keeping more than one that is not a clone?

How would you know when it was time to pull one from the system? Just general appearance? Like if one was not looking at all happy and as it normally does?

With regard to my friends ones, ya I think you nailed it on the head, it was obviously a case of circumstances rather than the two different colours mixing from reading what you had to say. I cannot answer most of the questions with regard to what happend in his case, but as leslie said he wasnt running a very sufisticated system, most of the tanks if I remember correctly were only 2ft with T8's over them, I also dont think he would have thought about waiting for them to heal before mixing them or that they could be releasing toxins...but this is just speculation on my part.

17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

thats the tank i was looking for to post here aswell.. good stuff jimbo

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well got the Green BTA...now lets see how it settles.

19. Guru Wannabe

Guru Wannabe

How's it settling in Mark?

20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

its been only 3 hours dude

21. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

Fish that nip at anemones, corals with sweeper tentacles capable of stinging anemones, tanks heavily stocked with soft coral (chemical warfar), crabs that go digging for food in anemones, etc, can all lead to problems.

General anemone keeping.

General appearance and behavior, such as bleaching, shrinking in size (except when expelling waste), constant roaming, excessive splitting, etc. are all signs that the anemone is not happy.

Last edited: 28 May 2011
Recent Posts