RBTA, how much light?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by RiaanP, 2 Dec 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

This is my first proper anemone. I got different rock anemones, especially Natal Rock Anemones (small dark green) and a few others.

Anyway I got a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone on Saterday. It used to be under a 150W MH. That bothered me as I'm only on 4 T5 tubes. 2*10000L, 1*20000K and 1*Actinic. Tank is 450 deep.

Luckily I got it still attached to the rock it was anchored on. I put the rock long way up, between my other rocks. And the RBTA keep on moving around. And I keep on moving the rock so that I can see him and he is exposed to the light. Eventually Monday I gave up and let the RBTA decide where he wants to be.

Well this morning he is way down. Around 370-400 deep in the water. Where there are almost no water movement. Tentacles are barely moving. Fully opened up, feeding time tonight, last time he ate was Friday night. And he looks happy.

So what is a RBTA requirement in respect to
    • Lightning.
    • Water movement.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

4. Pugsly

Pugsly

tagging on this one.

Did not know that a nennie could go under T5's.
    Also thought nennies needed rather strong flow

5. Pugsly

Pugsly

thanks fans - going to start reading up on that link now

6. Tony

Tony

I have found from personal experience that they dont like too much light and will close up under hectic lighting. I have also found them to be the more well behaved anemone not moving around a lot. They dont like a lot of flow and prefer flow similar to that for LPS corals. Just a nice to and fro movement with the odd blast will keep them happy

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

RBTA's (like many corals), can adapt to higher lighting, or to lower lightning. My GBTA was under actinics only, in the LFS tank (for little bit more than a week, since they received the shipment).

I have 150 watt metal halides in my tank, and the BTA was "much smaller" than when in the LFS tank. Also - I have a LOT LOT more water flow in my tank, than what the LFS had.

Now - about 2 weeks later, the BTA is opening up far more than what it was in the tank at the LFS...... And it has grown about 2cm in total as well.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks Frans

Yes I did some time last week on that website. This is the anemone that Jaco Schoeman sold on behalf of his father. Did phone his father up again, and he also said that it prefered low flow and it was not directly under the 150MH. His MH is also angle like yours. And the RBTA was not under the center of the light.

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbclassified/uploaded/85rcqwk81.jpg

So there goes another rule:
    Anemones need bright light, like in MH.

OK agreed total wattage of 4 T5 = 216W, but that is over 1.2 meter. Where a MH is concentrated to a smaller area.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

No no, definitely not, be careful with that, RBTA and GBTA are known to be tolerant of lower light (as in a few T5's), whereas other anemone's such as H. crispa, ritteri, carpet etc. are all much more light demanding anemone's. The depth of the tank also plays a big part in which lighting is needed for different types of anemone's.

10. Falcon

Falcon

:nono: easy now

dont generalise boet....only BUBBLE TIPS dont need extreme light.....others like magnifica need as much as sps so the rule still applies except that BTA's can be treated like LPS.:)

AND BESIDE WHO SAID T5 ISNT EXTREME??? lol ok 4x t5 isnt but hey 8x t5 is as much as most mh....

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

ok, let me clarify.

rule is (was) : Anemone needs bright light.
    This is a generalise rule. And nope that is not true for all. First have to find out the type of anemone.

So the rule re-written
    Most Anemones need bright light, except Bubble Tips.

A question, Sand Anemones, what is their light requirement? Obviously the sand they occur naturally is below low level mark. Or am I wrong?

Falcon, I'm glad I do not have to replace my T5's.

12. irshaad

irshaad

I have my BTA under 1X39w (white) 4x24W (2 white, 2 blue) and tank is 60cm deep. BTA is around halfway down. It was initially right at the bottom but walked up halfway and wedged itself between two rocks with not much flow. Hasnt moved in 6 months, and has increased over 4 times in size. I do feed a 1cm cube every two/three weeks.
    I would like to dispel the belief that clowns don't need an anemone though. I had my maroon clown for over a year, and he didnt increase in size at all. He just kept getting hammered by my 4stripe damsel, however after introducing the anemone, he has now more than doubled in size and the damsel is too afraid to approach him. This without increasing feeding. His fins size and colours has also shown great improvement!

Recent Posts