Rate my design

Reaction score
So heres a pic of what im planing, not much to look at, photoshop and me dont get along, but it conveys the general idea.

Comments please :)

1329490f0a1b8847c.jpg

Reaction score
Note the Syphon break, otherwise the plumbing will drain your tank when the power go off. Durso to stop the noise. Extra baffles in the sump, stops micro bubbles.

392490f11b552f52.jpg

Reaction score
This looks like the normal run of the mill stuff here...

Reaction score
its as lighty said, you need the siphon break and the durso is good on noise reduction. otherwise its all good. just try and make your dsb as big as possible. believe me its better. make your other compartments smaller but leave enough room for changes, for example if you get a new larger skimmer or a bigger return pump. savvy?

Reaction score
Note the Syphon break, otherwise the plumbing will drain your tank when the power go off. Durso to stop the noise. Extra baffles in the sump, stops micro bubbles.

392490f11b552f52.jpg
Great thanx, this is the kind of input I need.
Would the durso pipe still be necessary if I load the overflow with crushed coral and LR pieces?
Will add extra baffles to the sump and the syphon break, thanx :)

Reaction score
Loading the overlfow with crushed corals and LR pieces might cause traps for detritus, and you could have a problem with excessive Nitrates.
Not having the durso makes the tank sound like a waterfall. I'm still trying out ways to prevent the noise without using a durso.

Reaction score
Loading the overlfow with crushed corals and LR pieces might cause traps for detritus, and you could have a problem with excessive Nitrates.
Not having the durso makes the tank sound like a waterfall. I'm still trying out ways to prevent the noise without using a durso.
Bioballs perhaps, or would detritus still build up with them?
Well Ill need some help with making the syphon break and durso pipe if you could lend me your insight, or a link :p

Reaction score
def go durso:) very clever idea, just watch out if it starts to "flush", i battled withn that....i know there are some links one of the guys can post for you:)

nice to see u planning:)

Reaction score
Its basically a pipe that runs into a t Piece on its side. Pipe that go's up is capped with a small hole for air drilled into it. Pipe that go's off to the side is short with an elbox, pointing down. Instead of the water overflowing through the top, water rises inside the elbox and then runs off down the t Piece. Airhole is so that one doesnt get an air block.

Durso Standpipes » DIY

Reaction score
Also remember to leave space for a diy Phosphate removes in the sump

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
just on the DSB its my preferance to make the level on the first divider lower than the second (to which the water is flowing) to stop any chnce of the rushing water dropping into the DSB chamber and disturbing it...

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of all those bubble baffels. As far as I am concerned they are just a waste of space. I prefer to maximise DSB space. For the glass partition between the DSB and return pump, I slanted it about 60 degrees to prevent bubbles entering my display.