Random pics of my little success

Marcel, sounds awesome.
I can't wait till you start supplying some of the rarer species.
Maybe a flame angel or 2 in the future?

WOW Marcel!! That is incredible! Really nice setup you have. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods can I come visit? I'd really love to see this setup in person!

Sorry Sean, but I don´t allow other people in my hatchery. Broodstock, larval rearing and grow out is all placed in one room right now.
At a later stage, I will have different rooms and anybody who is interested can have a look. But I will not show my larval rearing room. I am doing things in there, which is world wide uinque. I did not find any record on the internet about the larval rearing technique I invented. This technigue is so simple, but very efficient. I reckon, that I will be able to raise many other species in quantity, where other people still struggle.
So this technique is worth a lot of money. If this technique fails, I don´t have a problem to show it. But until I got the results, I will keep it as my personal secret.
I hope you guys will understand this. I don´t want to see other breeder having success with my technique before me.

Marcel, sounds awesome.
I can't wait till you start supplying some of the rarer species.
Maybe a flame angel or 2 in the future?

Hey, I also can´t wait to start, but first I need a good cashflow to build the bigger hatchery, to buy broodstock, to employ staff, etc.
There are many other clown fish species on my list as well as damsels, shrimps and your favourite Flame angel (which is besides mandarins also my favourite fish).

Now you can imagine, I have not really started yet. Still have to do plumbing for a living.

Hey, I also can´t wait to start, but first I need a good cashflow to build the bigger hatchery, to buy broodstock, to employ staff, etc.
There are many other clown fish species on my list as well as damsels, shrimps and your favourite Flame angel (which is besides mandarins also my favourite fish).

Now you can imagine, I have not really started yet. Still have to do plumbing for a living.
the best Flame angels are true Hawaiian Flame angels and are rare

the best Flame angels are true Hawaiian Flame angels and are rare

In that case Yuri, I force you to post a picture of the Hawaiian flame, as I got no idea what it looks like. Or you talk latin to me, then I will understand what fish you are talking about.;)

In that case Yuri, I force you to post a picture of the Hawaiian flame, as I got no idea what it looks like. Or you talk latin to me, then I will understand what fish you are talking about.;)
thy are much more red than a regular one and are more than 4 times the price
10214b8fe6250e480.jpg

thy are much more red than a regular one and are more than 4 times the price
10214b8fe6250e480.jpg

Ahh, no it would be intersting if it is only because of their diet or genetic.
Thanks for the tip. If I will succedd with angels, I will get the hawaiin as broodstock.
But breeding angels is a tough business and I don´t want to put my target too high right now. Step by step.

Ahh, no it would be intersting if it is only because of their diet or genetic.
Thanks for the tip. If I will succedd with angels, I will get the hawaiin as broodstock.
But breeding angels is a tough business and I don´t want to put my target too high right now. Step by step.
the best angels to breed in sa is Apolemichthys kingi you will make money
if you get a good diver that can dive below 70meters i will be able to help get you Centropyge debelius
and if you can get a Apolemichthys guezei then you are good thy are from the Reunion island (this is the rarest angel in the world )

Sorry Sean, but I don´t allow other people in my hatchery. Broodstock, larval rearing and grow out is all placed in one room right now.
At a later stage, I will have different rooms and anybody who is interested can have a look. But I will not show my larval rearing room. I am doing things in there, which is world wide uinque. I did not find any record on the internet about the larval rearing technique I invented. This technigue is so simple, but very efficient. I reckon, that I will be able to raise many other species in quantity, where other people still struggle.
So this technique is worth a lot of money. If this technique fails, I don´t have a problem to show it. But until I got the results, I will keep it as my personal secret.
I hope you guys will understand this. I don´t want to see other breeder having success with my technique before me.

No problem man! I totally understand where you are coming from! I would do exactly the same thing... It's just really impressive that you are doing this, and I am just purely curious. I have faith that your technique will definitely be a success based on some of your pics, so I guess your setup will remain a mystery! :thumbup:

the best angels to breed in sa is Apolemichthys kingi you will make money
if you get a good diver that can dive below 70meters i will be able to help get you Centropyge debelius
and if you can get a Apolemichthys guezei then you are good thy are from the Reunion island (this is the rarest angel in the world )

Yuri, I actually think, breeding angels is not a problem on a long term.
If I had a year of time, doing nothing else than research and development, I am confident to breed them. A year is a very long time, so there must be enough money in the account for daily expenses. At the end of day, after success, the question will be, is it financially interesting to breed angels. Buying, maintaning, keeping broodstock is much more expensive than for clowns. Having huge numbers of flames will drop the price on the market, as there is not a huge demand for such an expensive fish.

First target of each hatchery is the profit, not the success. Without profit, no money to spend for a long time of R+D.

Breeding chromis as an example will be not worth the effort. Breeding yellow tail damsels, either.
Maybe breeding the rarest angel after developing the right technique, might be commercially interesting. People who never could afford such rare fish will be able to afford it.

But in case I will succeed, I will ask you about what to breed and where to get.

Thanks for your input, Yuri.

No problem man! I totally understand where you are coming from! I would do exactly the same thing... It's just really impressive that you are doing this, and I am just purely curious. I have faith that your technique will definitely be a success based on some of your pics, so I guess your setup will remain a mystery! :thumbup:

Thanks, but my set up is not that impressive. Just a bunch of tanks, stands and fish.;)

Maybe I should post some pics of my set up. Let´s see what I´ve got on my computer.

Hmm, to get an idea what it looks like.

25074b8ff9b405952.jpg

25074b8ffae05e08d.jpg

You might find it interesting, that I cladded the walls and door with 30mm styrofoam and the ceiling with 50mm.
The broodstock/larvae system is running with a 300 W heater (which is not on very often) with 27,5 degrees in winter and the grow out
with 26,5 degrees (without any heater). Right now I am running 2.000 litre, but next week the 375 litre tank will be full as well.

25074b8ffb23b7b61.jpg

25074b8ffb416d708.jpg

25074b8ffbb1e4349.jpg

25074b8ffbc8e79ca.jpg

25074b8ffbd9b55a9.jpg

25074b8ffc02093a3.jpg

25074b8ffc1d9d967.jpg

Last edited:
Yuri, I actually think, breeding angels is not a problem on a long term.
If I had a year of time, doing nothing else than research and development, I am confident to breed them. A year is a very long time, so there must be enough money in the account for daily expenses. At the end of day, after success, the question will be, is it financially interesting to breed angels. Buying, maintaning, keeping broodstock is much more expensive than for clowns. Having huge numbers of flames will drop the price on the market, as there is not a huge demand for such an expensive fish.

First target of each hatchery is the profit, not the success. Without profit, no money to spend for a long time of R+D.

Breeding chromis as an example will be not worth the effort. Breeding yellow tail damsels, either.
Maybe breeding the rarest angel after developing the right technique, might be commercially interesting. People who never could afford such rare fish will be able to afford it.

But in case I will succeed, I will ask you about what to breed and where to get.

Thanks for your input, Yuri.
Just let me know when

awesome work Marcel , very exciting!!!

Do you have the black percs as broodstock yet?

That's awesome. It really does look like some setup Marcel! Not sure I have the skill to do something like this?

Really nice, I love it.

Thanks Sean, the filters and sumps are from Plastics for Africa. Cheap is good enough as long as it works. My skimmer works ood but with the bioload of 1000 juveniles it´s a bit undersized. I think I am going to build a big one, air stone driven.

awesome work Marcel , very exciting!!!

Do you have the black percs as broodstock yet?

Thanks Shawn, not yet, but I am waiting on prices and availabilty for many rare clowns. I am going to order them in any case. In May, there should be CB black and whites coming, picassos and dottybacks.

As soon as I got the new broodstock, I will post a list of species I am going to breed.

WOW Marcel! Much appreciated! Awesome setup! I am really really impressed!

Jacques, nothing impressive so far.
But watch this space in the breeding forum.
I'm confident to raise damsels in quantity soon.

Back
Top Bottom