Raising Salinity

Reaction score
I was wondering the best way to raise salinity ? My salinity is about 1.020 (will get someone else to check tomorrow to be sure). If it is that low how do I go about increasing it without affecting the fish/coral ??

Very slowly, depending on the size of your tank and the rate of evaporation, add some saltwater to your system every day in the place of R/O, i would think you should take about 2 weeks to get it to 1.026

I don't get much evaporation though. The volume is 130l. Should I take out some and replace it, and what should the replacement water be (1.026) ?

I don't get much evaporation though. The volume is 130l. Should I take out some and replace it, and what should the replacement water be (1.026) ?

Thats fine proportionally it will be the same, I would say half of what evaporates should be replaced with salt water at 1.026

That way you will raise it gradually.

Just make very sure that your salinity is as low as you think.

You could do 3 water changes, one every 2 days, replacing about 33% of the water with 1.027 water. That would get you to 1.025 in 6 days (3 water changes, 130L new water)

Back
Top Bottom