Rain Water

I woudn't. Not in a city area anyway. Rain water is very acid and absorbs allot of the carbon emmisssions in city areas.

Alright thanks, was wondering why nobody tops up with Rain Water. But for someone like me who lives outside the city?

Perhaps. But I would still purify it first. Maybe run it over snd column followed by activated carbon.

I woudn't take too mnay chances with the in-put water. From most of the go wrong threads on here it is the input water...

I think rain water can also absorb allot of phosphates especially in farm areas. If I remeber corretcly it had somethign to do with lightning as well...

it also depends how you collect your rain water. If you collect runoff from your roof, then (depending what roof you have) you could pick up alot of contaminants.

dont worry lappiesreef, we thankful everyday that we live at the coast! couldn't imagine living in gauteng again

Im green with jelousy....We have to sit in trafic and make up our own water :(

Thats why I wanted a bit of the see in my house ;)

check the tds of the rain water if its lower than 5 you can use it. last time i tested joburg rainwater came in at 52.

Yup, i cant do Top-Ups so every few weeks or so i gotta do a water change with NSW. And no ways am i using tap water for a top-up.

Hi Storm.
If you top up with NSW your sg is going to increase, you need to top up evaporated water with ro water.

The rain water will also have a lot of bird *##t in. ;)

Yip your salinity is going to go through the roof, rather take the chance and top up with rain water than sea water. Topping up with sea water will definitely lead to disaster.

If you install a pump to lift the pressure of the rain water to.. (3bar?) you can push it through a RO unit. That should be ok, keep the waste for the lawn. :)

mmm i think you people misunderstood. I CANT do top-ups (meaning i don't do them at all). I only do water changes every few weeks with NSW.

A Bit of water evaporates from the tank every day. This causes the Specific Gravity to rise thus, the water becomes more salty because the salt to water ratio is more concentrated.

To stop the SG from fluctuating, many reefers have auto top up system. This feeds Reverse Osmosis water into the system. Stabilizing the SG. If you top up the "lost" water with nsw (Ie. fill the tank when you do water changes) , then the SG will keep on rising.

Back
Top Bottom