Radion xr15w pro light schedule

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by desiree, 15 Sep 2016.

1. desiree

desiree

Please share your schedule. I am struggling with cyanbacteria that just won't go away. It is not out of control and only on the sand. With led lights is it caused by to low light or to high light or one colour. If t5 lights get old they cause cyanbacteria so what colour would be causing it. Tank is 9 month lights on 8 hours and 2 hours blue.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Cyano is not only caused by lighting, many other factors influence it such as lack of flow, excess nutrients, carbon dosing etc. Lighting would be the final stage in encouraging growth of it, if you remove the other issues that are fuelling the cyano growth then lighting will not be a factor. If you can give us a run down of your tank, what you are feeding, dosing, flow, parameters etc. then we can help you a lot easier.

SAReefer likes this.
  4. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Could high tds RO cause this? What water do you top up with

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

2 x vortech mp10 so enough flow. Water quality good. Ro water from petshop. 4 fish frozen food 2 x daily washed, small piece of seaweed daily. 200 L cube 25 L water change weekly. Canister always clean. No skimmer. Elegance (bottom) and anchor hammer (middle) are not bleached white but are light in colour. Radion on 100% in peak. The only thing I have not changed is light setting that's why I think it might be to high. Light on bracket and tank 55cm deep.

6. Vishaal

Vishaal

Hi how many fish are you feeding to use 4 frozen blocks 2 x daily ?

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

Last edited: 15 Sep 2016
  7. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Sorry no 4 fish and feeding frozen food 2 x daily. One block in morning and one in evening washing it first in clean water so some are lost so would not say its a full block. Feeding short tentacle plate coral and 2 x recordea mushrooms out of that as well 3 x a week.

8. Vishaal

Vishaal

What is your phosphate and nitrate readings ?

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

9. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Not sure what phosphate reading is now but running 250ml seagel in canister filter and replacing with new every week. Nitrate is 1. I also have no algae.

10. SAReefer

SAReefer

Should definitely check the Phosphate levels in the tank.... feeding the corals is not necessary, they get all their food from the lighting in the tank, so there may be the possibility of over-feeding. I don't have experience with smaller tanks, mine is a 600L, but a skimmer would be a good idea, that will get out a lot of the excess nutrients. Adjusting lighting is not beneficial for such growth, it affects corals for sure, but using lights to manage 'algae' control just doesn't work... there's something wrong with the water chemistry imho.

viper357 likes this.
  11. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Reduced light intensity to 75% and it seems to be helping.
    Colour of cyanobacteria is getting lighter.
    Elegance coral seems to be happier.
    Can led users please help with correct settings.
    When setting light colours is it for visual affect only or does colour mix count.
    If UV is at 75 B at 80 RB at 80 W at 50 G at 45 R at 45 just an example does it matter at what percentage green and red are for growth. On a lot of examples on the internet green and red settings are low or zero at certain times of the day.
    And I do think my light intensity was to high the power supply got so hot I had a fan on it the period of the lights to keep it cool..

12. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Even the goniapora seem 20160920_121825.jpg s happier would he not be closed if water quality was not correct.

13. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Found what I was looking for and if anybody else was wondering.

Blue, violet, and UV light all best grow most corals. Every important photopigment for zooxanthellae (the algae-like flagellate which lives in corals and provides them with the food they need), namely chlorophyll a, chlorophyll c2, and peridinin, all rely on these colors of light. Red light also grows some corals well, but other corals which naturally aren't exposed to red light may have their growth stunted by red light. White light is used over reef tanks purely for the aquarists' benefit - not the corals'. The green, yellow, and orange components of white light do not help corals' zooxanthellae photosynthesize. Rather, these colors of light are great for creating a clear, crisp picture for us humans to see because we see green and yellow light best. This is the case because much of our recent evolution took place in the plains of Africa, where the ability to see the greens and yellows common in the grasslands in better detail was very beneficial to our survival.

14. 2una

2una

15. SAReefer

SAReefer

Your lighting spectrum is definitely important as that is the wavelengths at which coral maintain photosynthesis. The red and yellow end of the spectrum are not for growth and degrade very quickly when entering water. The blue and white spectrum is where corals grow. So you need to balance these based on look as well as growth. Looking at spectral graphs of sunlight will help.

Have a look at this very informative article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. SAReefer

SAReefer

They are very hardy corals, but by the sound of things you were really blasting the corals. LED's can be very powerful and it is best to start low (33%) and slowly climb as necessary. You were also, by the sound of it, blasting in a flat unaltered spectrum where too much yellow and red can lead to cyano growth. Check out my other reply that has a link in it for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

2una did read site and it is explained better thank you.

18. desiree

desiree Thread Starter

Yes I also think it was high but could not get it to connect when I got the light so somebody did it for me but I did ask for 100% as the max for the light was my tank size and didn't think it would be that strong. But this is s powerfull little light that gives far more light than the tank spec size they give. Eventually figured out how to do it via internet.

Recent Posts