Radion Software

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RiaanP, 27 Mar 2013.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just to find other users opinion on the software. Both the Ecotech on PC and Ecotech live on the web versions.

I added another unit. Firstly, the Ecotech Config utility. Select refresh device list and the hourglass circle goodie just spins around and around for 2 hours finding nothing. Yeah, USB cable is plugged in. Once you do get in and if you do anything the same hourglass spinner just goes around and around for minutes, applying that action. But at the end, I still could not add the new light. Eventually gave up using the Config utility.

Ecotech Live is another menace. First you need to start the EcoSmart Live Connection Manager. Then you can sign in on the website http://www.ecosmartlive.com

Anyway, selecting Device manager, and find units via wireless searches automatically for all Radion units. It finds 7 units, I got 4 (wish I had the other 3) then going through the cycle to gather information the connection manager times out. Then you are stuffed. Exit the connection manager, restart it, and sometimes website do realize the new connection, otherwise you need to sign out and back in to be able to continue.

Only method that worked was to unplug power to ALL Radion units. Then only switch on one and connect it via USB. Going into device manager and add one unit via option of USB. Save and exit device manager. Switch on next Radion and repeat these steps. Add one for one.

If you set your day start and end times. Thereafter you change your schedule you loose your start and end time.... On the schedule there is another place to set the day start and end times, need to redo it there. It does not keep the settings in place. And do not change more than one option at a time. Change something and program to all Radions. BTW, there is a difference between the Program button that is under your group and the Program All button at the top of the page. Rather use the Program All button. And do not do anything wrong or strange, the connection manager crashes out easily, then you need to exit it again and restart it.

On the layout option, you can place the units as they are on your tank. Plus you can specify the time in total that must be used as a delay in starting them up. The sunrise and sunset options. Do not change this to 00:00 as I found the utility dropped my 4th unit. Forgot about it. And going back into the layout, does not show it. Well, I gave up on this option.

I'm not compute illiterate. And I found the software to be a pain to work with. It takes forever to do any action. Time spend to be able to add one extra unit, about 6 hours, if not more. And you need to have a lot of hair on your teeth. My opinion, the units are great, the software is really crap.

What is other Radion users opinion on the software? I think Ecotech can get away with it due to the big "BETA" stamp on the website. But its been there for months...

And other LED makes. What are their software like. User friendly? Easy to use? Can have nice screens, but does it actually work as expected?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Getting exactly the same with mine. I only have one & it takes an eternity to program it correctly!
    I have finally gotten it to work but everytime i exit the program it resets my day start & end times & i have to re-program the whole cycle.
    The "save" button also doesnt save all settings, only the lighting diagram, not the demo & other settings.
    I absolutely love my radion, but the software is a definite no go!

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

@Visser did you use the Config utility or the Live one?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Carcharias

Carcharias

@RiaanP
    I totally agree with you. Awesome lights but c#*$ software.
    I've also had no joy with linking the units up and soforth.
    I'm waiting for a friend to come down to the coast to try help me as I'm no computer fundie.
    I hope there are others here on MASSA who can help.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Only the config utility. (Got no internet receiption at my tank so the live wont work)
    At first i thought i installed it wrong, so i unistalled & started over again but still the same!
    Im getting the idea that ecotech didnt fully test the software before releasing it as there are still major problems with it!

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

ok guys, I had the desk top software but when you use the ecosmart live you need to first search for firmware upgrade. Then add the units, NOT wirelessly. The software on Ecosmart live is brilliant! I used it with no problems, if I can do it I am sure you all can!!!

Also, if you have any programmed lights, you cannot import this into the ecosmart live program, you would need to use the templates provided by ecosmart and then edit the program to your liking.
    What I did is I check for new firmware for each radion individually, yes you need to plug each one at a time, and them connect them together wireleslly. Then you use the software to program the lights, starting from the start of day, and so on.
    Again, your current program cannot be used, it is most likely an etg file and not a etp file. These are different.

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I never had a day of problems with the software, both desktop or live one, and I had four radions. I would hate to see you with pacific sun software, ask my buddies, that has been a nightmare until I figured it out.:p

9. RiaanP

@carlosdeandrade
    that is what I found out eventually.
    Leaving the software to find the Radion's via wireless, simply does not work

And after last night. No thanks, rather not. My blood pressure will not make it. Being in IT, I hate IT that does not work as expected.

10. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

I only used the online software (thought the desktop version had been discontinued) found my two lights (one wirelessly), it does time out (some kind of script error probably Java not even ecotech) when programming but you just click continue and it works through eventually. The delay "sunrise effect" worked for me.

The only thing I can't get to work is the moonlight with the lunar phase in natural mode.

I just get upset that's it takes them forever to update stuff like this. It should be super user friendly otherwise guys will move to other options. I don't think they realise how importnt this is to users.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2013
  11. RiaanP

On the EcoSmart Live, I do like the Radion colour template. The end of day deep blue. But you cannot display the intensity. Can adjust the period per dot either earlier or later, but you cannot get the graph max point to the top. You cannot change the individual colours anymore as on the Config utility.

12. RiaanP

OK, need to update this thread.

After a talk to the Ecotech guys that was out here for our Expo. They did indicate that a new release of the software is available. I did last check in March, and we are now about 6 months down the line.

I just need to get myself to go sit down and do the software upgrade. Not very much in the mood. But as I did add another Vortech pump, and part of the master slave setup is to reset all pump controllers. They now lost the night mode control from the lights. So either put the pumps manually tonight into night mode, or do the software update.

Do not expect an update soon... :blush:

Recent Posts