Radion acclimation advice

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I've changed my LEDs - was running a 70w AquaBeauty and have changed to a 75w Radion XR15w, and need some advice on acclimating to the new light, without causing any unnecessary stress.

To start with I've done a custom setup, matching my times and intensities to what I had set on the AquaBeauty. I matched white, green and red to my AB white channel and uv, blue and royal blue to the AB blue channel, peaking at 100% on all channels for 4 hours a day. The AquaBeauty was about 10cm from the water surface, and the Radion is the recommended 23cm. I have a screen made of black tulle material over the tank, that does filter some of the light I guess.

I have mostly LPS (Euphillia, Chalice, Fungia and Trachyphyllia) and zoas, plus a few pieces of SPS (Monti and Acro), some GSP and Ricordea, and a Maxima clam. Everything has been under the old LEDs for many months at the same setting, all healthy.

I've set the Radion's acclimation timer to start at 70% over a period of two weeks. Does this sound about right? I don't want to overdo or underdo it. I guess it's all down to the difference between the two lights, and I'm not sure if I should trust my eyes or not.

From what I've read online people moving from T5 to Radion or MH to Radion generally start at less than 50%, and then still sometimes bleach their corals. But I'm not really finding anything on moving from another LED brand to Radion.

I guess what it comes down to is, at pretty much the same wattage, can the Radions be 30% stronger (given my reduced intensity of 70%), and is 2 weeks too short or too long to acclimate the corals and clam?

upgrading from a 70W Aquabeauty to a 75 Radion should not be that much of a impact. Especially starting at only 70%.

A before and after pic would be nice. But die hard fans of either of those units would not be happy.

Ha ha, that's why I intentionally tried to avoid using the word "upgrade".

By just looking at the light intensity, the Radion at 70% doesn't seem brighter than the AquaBeauty at 100%. But then I also realise there must be more to it than overall intensity that my eyes can see. Stuff like wavelength, point intensity because if lens differences, etc.

What I really like is that I have a lot more control over the visual colour (with great control comes grear responsibility?), because I've never really been a fan of a lot of blue. I know, the shame. And I really like the more gradual transitions.

For now the colour is set as close as visually possible to the old lights, which I'll slowly adjust more to my liking. I'll update with some photos to compare once the acclimation is done.

I am however keeping the AquaBeauty for my (hopefully) not too far in the future frag / acclimation tank.

Aschef would you by any chance recall what temp your AB ran at when it was running 100%/100% ?
I put a 140w in a hood & just trying to gauge if the temp is about normal... mine sits @ 41-43 C.
Differant unit but be nice to hear a figure if you remember what it was

Back
Top Bottom