Radianthus Malu vs Entacmaea quadricolor

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by inflames, 2 May 2011.

1. inflames

inflames

Hi Brenda,

Hope you are well! Please could you shed some light on the difference between this 2 different type of Anemones. I have done some research on the internet and there seems to be very little difference between the 2 species, if anything at all they seem to be almost identicle! I am considering purchasing a Radianthus Malu from a lfs (which I actually believe to be a RBTA), but thers is so many similarities between to 2! How does one actually tell the difference and is one harder to keep than the other??! Any info on this would be great! Lighting specifically.
    :thumbup:
    Thanks

Last edited: 3 May 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Bump!

4. Anemone

Anemone

Oh Dear! Sorry I missed this one! It's been crazy here this week with having grandma home again!

Anyway....You will have better luck if you google Heteractis malu.

The H. malu will have rows verrucae on the column. The BTA will not have verrucae..anywhere. The H. malu is not as forgiving as the BTA, will require higher lighting, and also prefers the sand.

Here are some links that you may find helpful:

http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/ebooks/ch1.html

Delicate Sea Anemone, White Sand Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures of Heteractis malu

Again, sorry for the late response!

5. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Hi Brenda,

Hope Grandma is doing better! Thanks for the info and I have been doing some research, via google, it has almost confused me more! I was even looking at a thread started by "student" under your section on MASA about his "RBTA" and I may even say that I dont think it it a RBTA, but indeed H.Malu! So I think the best is for me to get a few photo's of the one I am thinking of buying and uplaod for your opinion...

The difference seems to be so small and I really want to get a H.Malu thinking that its a RBTA!

6. Anemone

Anemone

Grandma is doing amazingly well! Thank you!

I'm not finding a member by the name of "student" here. Can you post a link to the thread?

Definately post some pics of the one in question. Try to get pics of column, and oral disc if you can.

7. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

I hope this will get you to the link! My beaut RBTA - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I will get some photo's hopefully today and then post them! will be interested to see what you think! Here in SA when one shop has certain stock...ALL the shops have similar stock, due to the fact that this nennie in above thread was bought not to long ago, lends me to believe that these nennie's are currently part of the same shipment that was brought in and distributed to a number of LFS! some sell them as RBTA and others as H.Malu!

8. Anemone

Anemone

Thanks for the link!

What are you seeing that makes you believe it may be a H. malu? I'm seeing a perfectly healthy E. quadricolor (BTA).

9. student

student

Ill be a slightly bummed to find out the pride n joy of my tank aint actually what I think it is;)

10. student

student

Just looked up some pics of the H. Malu: they dont look very similar to BTAs, hey??

11. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

@student, this is what amazes me regarding the LFS, they tell you one thing and you go...no way thats not a.... I will get a pic today of the one and hopefully we can put this to rest! I am almost 90% sure that its a BTA that the dude is trying to tell me is a H.malu or red rose anemone!

@brenda, nothing really, its just that the one in the LFS is almost identicle to sudents one and the dude tells me ist a red rose anemone.

So really confused!:blush:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. student

student

which LFS is it? some really are clueless with names..
    Ive seen quite a few small RBTAs at the LFS around jhb at the moment

13. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Its the shop at Lifestyle. I know, this is what got me thinking when I saw your thread! How much was this nennie of yours? Its a real beauty!!

14. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I have a H.Malu and its wonderful lol :)

15. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

@deadmeat2016, Howzit?!?! Some pics maybe? I am not running MH and only have T5 lighting which we can get away with keeping BTA, What lighting do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. student

student

ya lifestyle have some lovely stock but dont know much about it, I bought a sand sifter goby the other day that was labelled and priced as some sort of wrasse!!
    Those are small RBTAs they have there, but I would be weary of getting an anemone there, they keep them in tanks with like one or maybe two old t5s and poor flow which isnt enough.. Saw a totally bleached rbta there because of it. Wild on pets have the same size rbta's in better condition for same price. wella week ago they did..
    Got mine for like 460! well, thats without the 2kg rock she chose:whistling:! But brilliant price for size n colour that i got, was very lucky.

17. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Hi Brenda,

Here are some photos! What do you think this is? I am going with RBTA, there is one that is really bleached!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

This is some photo's of the badly bleached one.:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Anemone

Anemone

Both are bleached, the first one is only slightly bleached. However, both are showing signs of hunger with those short tentacles. The first one has an excellent chance of full recovery. Know that when an anemone is moved from one tank to another, it is stressfull. You may see a slight decline, temporarily. I definetly wouldn't spend any money on the white one.

Both are definately E. quadricolor (BTA).

Hope this helps!

inflames likes this.
  20. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks Brenda,

I was also really confused when the guy at the LFS said it wasn't a BTA! I have found another BTA at half the price elsewhere that I am sure is from the same shipment. It is also in about the same state as the 1st picture and hopefully I can get it back to full health!;)

Thanks for confirming what type of nennie!:thumbup:

21. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

sorry for my longness, will post some pics tomorrow, my malu dominates my tank, you will see what I mean but its very peaceful and doesnt move unless prevoked by another coral ect. As for lighting, I have 1 14,000k MH and 1 54w t5 20,000k and both are quite close to the tank with the nennie approx 35 cm away from the light, with 20cm of that being water. will post tomorrow!!

Last edited: 12 May 2011
Recent Posts