Rabbits Upgrade

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Rabbit, 8 May 2015.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit

Hi Guys,

I took the plunge and bought a reefers display tank.

Im looking for some ideas around sump designs that incorporates a quarantine and top up

I would like to take this opportunity to get rid of all my nuisance algea and aptasia on my live rock, its taken over my tank. What would be the best way of doing this while keeping my live stock.

I was thinking of drying all the live rock, but then I would have the issue of cycling the tank again.

I'll post some more info on the build a bit later

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bflynn

Bflynn

What is the tank size? Does it have a sump at the moment? Pics might help the guys better;)

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

The new size will be 1.5m x 800 x 600. I don't have the new tank yet, I'm still busy planning the sump and I need to get the stand built

I would like to have a quarantine plumbed in my sump

5. garrethm

garrethm

Not sure that plumbing your QT into your main system is a great idea. Have a look at @RiaanP threads he has QT in a completely different room.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Don't think you should have a quarantine plumbed into your sump because then it kind of defeats the purpose of a quarantine. The disease from the Fish in quarantine will get into your main tank.

7. Antonio

Antonio

why don't you gust start the new tank with base rock or reel reef rock?

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

When I say plumbed I mean I would want to have the ability to bypass the rest of the setup.

9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

So do you mean you have the option to have them running together and then when there is a fish in the quarantine tank then you have the option to run the two tanks separate?

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Correct

11. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

@Antonio, I won't have the space to run two tanks at the same time

12. Bflynn

Bflynn

1.5 x 800 x ? is a nice size space. if you consider what has to fit in it can fill up quickly. Chiller is about +-500 across that leaves you with 1m x 800 to work with. Fitting in a quarantine under your tank can work, but it is going to be a hassle. Diving around under your tank trying to catch the fish after quarantine could become a real pain. Also, the extra hardware needed to run a remote quarantine is also going to take up space. But!! It can be done;)

13. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

I think you might be misunderstanding me, a chiller inside the tank ? The display tanks dimensions is 1500 l x 800w x 550d. I've seen a quarantine setup and it works well for the reefers who has them

14. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha

So you want a fully operational sump, but when need be, be able to close one section off completely as to QT a fish or coral?

15. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha

Bfylnn means that yiu would put it under your tank, so you have x amount of space in the stand.
    The chiller is 500 across. You then need to have your sump in the amount of space left.

16. 4age

4age

i had a similar setup on my 2m..worked well..when I wanted to quarantine a fish I jst closed a ball valve and opened another to let water bypass the qt..then id just pop in a small heater into the qt small pwerfilter I had running in sump

17. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Yip that's correct Jordan,

I'm thinking of placing the live stock with live rock purchased from another reefer in the sump, and run the sump on its own while the display tank cycles with the dry rock and sand

18. Mr Dan

Mr Dan

Hi @Rabbit it sounds like a good idea and I don't see why it cant be done, the first question is what are you building your stand with (wood will take up to much space)so this leaves you with the galvinised metal option, so what I would do is run your sump on the floor to give you space, your sump does not need to be more than 350mm high. If the inside hight of your stand is 1m that leaves you with a remainder of 650mm ,so I would give another 150mm above your sump and then put your stand bracing on, if the bracing is done correctly you would be able to put a qt on top of that ,I personally would not make it more than 250mm deep with a length of 1m, this way you can still have space on the side of your shelf for skimmer, chiller etc and you will have 250mm above your qt which is a bit small but still enough to make a plan with(forgot to mention thickness of metal bracing under your qt which you would have to play with)hope this helps and keep the pictures rolling

19. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

If you treat with copper medication in the quarantine, couldn't some of that get into your display tank. Corals and inverts will die. So just be aware not to treat with copper based meds.

20. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

I'll be looking at a height of an under sump height of around 1.1-1.2 . will def be looking at a metal frame. I'll try and get a plan together and share with you guys to comment

21. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Build a double decker stand. I had one on my old tank and works when you have to fit a lot of stuff inside the cabinet. Stand was 1150mm high.

Recent Posts