R O water in durban?

Reaction score
hi everyone

could you please help me

im from durban
does anyone know where about in durban i could get R/O water for my fish tank,im still starting out my tank and have not set up as yet, i have a 2ft tank with a resun mini skimmer that handles between 60 to 75L of water, so im still in the process of geting all equipment in order and at the same time getting more knowledge before rushing, im sure with the help of everyone i can be at the top of the game...

thank you

Wlecome to MASA :)
Most of the LFS sell RO water.Try Northlands.They are a sponsor on MASA.
Please tell us more about your system,and post pics. :)

Hi Thank You,

I Am Currently In The Process Of Putting All My Stuff Togethere But
Im Basically Researching Asmuch As I Can Before Doing So, I Have A 610 X 310 X 310 Tank ( 2ft ) Want To Run A Fowlr Just Two Clown Fish ,1 X Hermit Crab 1x Cleaner Shrimp And 1 Or 2 Turbo Snails, I Also Have A Resun Mini Skimmer, Was Told I Would Not Need One As My Tank Is Smaller But Its An Advantage Having It, I Need More Knowledge Before Going Through And Im Sure You Guyz Can Help Me Answer Questions That Baffles Me... Thank You

THANX MEKAEEL

IM ALSO FROM DURBS NEAR TO UMHLANGA , GATEWAY
IM JUST DOING MY RESEARCH IN SUPPLIES AND STOCKS
SO I DONT END UP IN A JAM :eek:)
COULD YOU ADVISE ME ON SOME STUFF OR SHOULD I OPEN UP A NEWER THREAD FOR YOU TO ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS ?

You can keep it in this thread, but please be aware that typing in capitals equals shouting on the internet, and i am sure this was not intended.
I can vouch for the water from NP as i know they service their RO unit regularly so their ro is of a high quality, more important than price.

No probs as i said i am sure it was not intended.
I dont think i have welcomed you to the forum yet, if i haven't.....Welcome on boaed.

THANX MEKAEEL

IM ALSO FROM DURBS NEAR TO UMHLANGA , GATEWAY
IM JUST DOING MY RESEARCH IN SUPPLIES AND STOCKS
SO I DONT END UP IN A JAM :eek:)
COULD YOU ADVISE ME ON SOME STUFF OR SHOULD I OPEN UP A NEWER THREAD FOR YOU TO ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS ?
Since you near to Umhlanga.Julies pets in Gateway will be close to you.I personally trust the water from there aswell as Northlands.
Ask all your questions here,we got a helpful bunch on board :)

hi there

thanx guys...

i will type slower but cant help it has im quick on the keyboard;)

yes julies is very close to me,ive been there many times, i will call them up and get
an estamate figure for r/o water,

guys i were wondering with all these load shedding that have been going on would the delay in electricity bring about a negative impact on your tank?

guyz your most honest opinion would be highly appriciated,

i have a 2ft tank already just to run a fowlr, just 2 clowns and a clean up crew ( 1x cleaner shrip 1x hermit crab and a turbo snail)
i have a resun mini skimmer that i purchased at naturespetland that handles between 60L - 75L of water.
im currently in the process of also diy a sump so as it adds on to my existing water volume and soon to aquire all other hardware until completion,

so from what i have, mainly the tank do you think it can operate good?

A very warm WELCOME to MASA Occelaris!
The tank sounds great. Your tank size is called a nano, so yeah - it would work. BUT, you will HAVE to keep up with at least weekly water changes (between 10 and 15% would suffice).

Do you have live rock yet? If not, I would suggest getting at least between 10 and 15kg of live rock for your nano.

Hi There

No I Have Not Gotten To That Stage As Yet, Im Still In The Preping Stages,i
Read That Fiji Lr Is Of A Higher Quality Than The Rest, Is This True?

do you have any diy ideas for a sump please, but not glass,i have had bad experiences with that, would a plastic container that is non toxic be
used as a sump as acrylics are quite expensive... thanx

Hi Occelaris - yes - Fiji or Fiji Premium is some of the best live rock that you can get.
Yes - you can indeed use plastic containers. Unfortunately I do not have anything myself. But someone posted a sample on one of the threads. I will see if I can find it.
You can one big plastic bath / storage container, where you can use Marine Silicone to silicone in some dividers...
You only really need 2 dividers, about half the depth of the container.... You will then have 3 compartments.
1 - for the inlet from the tank, and the skimmer
2 - for the DSB and refugium
3 - for the heater and the tank / sump return pump (where the water will be pumped back into the tank)

tell me the DSB i will use argagonite but ive read about a cheatoe, please mind the spelling, also i do not have a filter for my tank and thought that the sump could help out with that as ive seen in a LFS display tank that they had a compartment with a layer of filter wool, a sort sponge and i think there was a third of crushed coral but iread crush coral would be a nitrate factory, in your expertise would i need a filter or could i incorporate this in my sump?

Hi Occelaris - the DSB and the chaetomorpha will be your filtration system. That included with the live rock and the skimmer.
The only time you want to use filter wool, if you are 100% sure you can replace it every 2 - 3 days or at least clean it...... Nothing else.
The DSB can be either aragonite (where the sand particle size is less than 1mm in size) or playsand (which is sugar-fine inert sand).

No need for extra biological filtration like ceramic rings, sponge etc if you use enough live rock. The live rock becomes your filter and if you have a DSB added to that you shouldn't have any problems in that area.

Back
Top Bottom