R.O filter before water enters sump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Ridwaan, 28 Mar 2013.

1. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Howzit guys...

Before I say anything, just want to mention im not a chemistry/scientist person so my thinking might be wrong...

I keep R.O water in a seperate R.O reservoir to topup my tank automatically. I noticed with time, that the TDS of the water in my R.O rservoir goes up and because of this, I might be adding unnessacary phosphate and other badies to my tank.

Would it be a good idea to mount a small little box around 100mm X 100mm X 100mm to the sump where the R.O water gets added to the sump(above return compartment). So the R.O water gets cleaned of any phosphates and some badies before going into the sump resulting in 0 phosphates being added via topup?

I was thinking of adding DI Resin in this box instead of GFO and carbon but that stuff is very very expensive for some reason. I dont know why but it is.

I was also thinking of adding another R.O unit with a booster pump linked up to my ATO so the water in my R.O Reservoir goes through R.O machine for a second time..>LOL!

Maybe you guys can help find a solution?:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

ok TDS does not equal PO4

its total dissolved solids, so in a the normal house its dust, skin, moths, bacteria and million things, i seal my RO chamber with cling wrap to stop the dust etc..

but yes you can add an inline filter using a single chamber from an RO filter etc but alot of hastle

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan Thread Starter

Thanks @dallasg
    In that case, maybe it would be better for me to add two R.O filter chambers, one with carbon block and other with sediment filter, this should get rid of anything that contaminated my R.O water in the R.O Reservoir...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

its not worth the effort, if your TDS = 0 from the RO unit, then its dust etc which will not cause PO4 issues, just cover the RO chamber with glad wrap

6. Ridwaan

Ridwaan Thread Starter

Cool..I will do so...Thanks again

Recent Posts