R.E.E.F Methodology Series: Reef Strategy: a Primer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 12 Dec 2012.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

So let’s run through the major points needing to be considered in system design for a successful reef tank.

1. Decide on level of participation

2. Plan for today and tomorrow
    I have learned that I have to develop a detailed strategy before setting up a reef tank if I want to be successful. Even though things do not always go the way that we plan them, if we have a good strategy from the beginning it will help keep our mistakes and failures to a minimum. Know exactly what filtration and setup you want.

3. Choose the types of animals you want to keep
    Do the fish that you want keep require certain sized tanks?
    Do the fish require specific diets that you are willing to provide for them?
    Do the corals have special lighting requirements and can you afford the equipment, increased electric costs and can you deal with the heat that they produce?
    Do you have the time to dedicate to your animals for required feeding and maintenance to keep them healthy?
    If you are away from your tank, for periods of time, do you have someone who can care for your animals in your absence?

4. Patience
    Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it burnt down in one
    Reef tanks take time before maturing, don’t rush things and enjoy the ride

5. Cost
    Can you afford the proper tank and equipment that you have chosen?
    Can you afford the animals that you have chosen?
    Can you afford the increased electric costs associated with larger tanks?

6. Do your homework!
    Another key to a successful tank is doing your research up front.
    One of the most valuable resources that I found was MASA, read articles and posts and educate yourself and learn from others.
    Find a mentor, choose a tank that you like, and study the ways and methods of its owner, you all know the saying, the proof is in the pudding.

While this is the first part, i want to start a discussion on strategies and gather experiences from reefers.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Thanks for this, Dallas. As a n00b, I'm reading absolutely everything I can lay my hands on, I trust it will pay off in the long term.

P.S. Can you please elaborate on point #1?

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Well I am here all dec, more than welcome to pop round anytime and chat reef

Well point one defines what type of reefer one is. Do you just want to have a tank that you feed and clean the glass and let others do you tank, are you keen to run the basics and stay like that, or become an obsessed reefer pushing the boundaries and really getting to understand the biology and nitty gritties

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

Thanks for the invite! I might just take you up on that offer :)

Recent Posts