Quoyi Parrotfish

Reaction score
Hi guys... one of the LFS said they can get in one of these amazing fish. From what ive seen so far is that they are "reef safe" and don't grow to more than 20cm, Im thinking of trying it out. does anyone have any experience with these colourful creatures? I think i saw one in @glennf piece of art that he has going there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only experience I have is diving with them in Sodwana and they sure are very beautiful and the ones we dived with had awesome personalities as well.

Yes parrot fish are algae eaters. They have a beak like a turtle and scrape the algae off the rocks with the some rock/coral.

They are OK in large systems and the two that I had experience with were in a 3000l predator system with some soft corals. They did not bother the soft corals.

The Parrot fish you did not take is doing very well, he eats non stop, just love him.
He is not bugging any corals, holding thumbs.

Glad to hear, unfortunately as they grow they will change. They need to keep their "beaks" blunt as they keep on growing and therefore need to eat hard objects. Just like you would give you cockatiel a cuttlefish bone to blunt it's beak.

I did take him lol you got the second one. his now in my neighbours tank which is a much bigger tank than mine. very very active and doesnt bother any corals. I thought he would chew on the huge plating montis in the tank but he will go under all the coral to bite not peck on the rocks. Doesnt cause any real damage to the rocks though should take him a year or two to damage one rock. What a fish though.

Back
Top Bottom