Quoyi Parrotfish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Keegan1, 21 May 2015.

1. Keegan1

Keegan1

Hi guys... one of the LFS said they can get in one of these amazing fish. From what ive seen so far is that they are "reef safe" and don't grow to more than 20cm, Im thinking of trying it out. does anyone have any experience with these colourful creatures? I think i saw one in @glennf piece of art that he has going there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Franske

Franske

Only experience I have is diving with them in Sodwana and they sure are very beautiful and the ones we dived with had awesome personalities as well.

4. Keegan1

Keegan1 Thread Starter

That must of been an experience, one day when im big. I watched one or two clips and i saw that personality you speaking about, seems like a great fish.

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

They grow to 30cm. While not coral eaters per-se they are known to crunch rock and chew sps corals.

Heavy eater that can put big strain on your filtration.

I would think best off in a very large fish only system.

6. Keegan1

Keegan1 Thread Starter

Sigh:89:... Was crossing my fingers for positive responses... maybe i must let this one slide. :thanks: @archiecrain

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes parrot fish are algae eaters. They have a beak like a turtle and scrape the algae off the rocks with the some rock/coral.

They are OK in large systems and the two that I had experience with were in a 3000l predator system with some soft corals. They did not bother the soft corals.

8. Rooki

Rooki

The Parrot fish you did not take is doing very well, he eats non stop, just love him.
    He is not bugging any corals, holding thumbs.

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Glad to hear, unfortunately as they grow they will change. They need to keep their "beaks" blunt as they keep on growing and therefore need to eat hard objects. Just like you would give you cockatiel a cuttlefish bone to blunt it's beak.

10. Keegan1

Keegan1 Thread Starter

I did take him lol you got the second one. his now in my neighbours tank which is a much bigger tank than mine. very very active and doesnt bother any corals. I thought he would chew on the huge plating montis in the tank but he will go under all the coral to bite not peck on the rocks. Doesnt cause any real damage to the rocks though should take him a year or two to damage one rock. What a fish though.

Recent Posts