Quinton's new (and somewhat empty) Nano

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Here are some shots of my 4 month old nano. Enjoy!

image44.jpg

Quinton, thanks for sharing:thumbup:

Ok I am going to try and do this gently before some of the other folk wake up;)

That nano is way to small for the yellow tang, and for a yellow tank and a Regal its miles to small, IMO that is cruel to these fish as they both need a lot of swimming space. Imagine yourself being locked up in a 2m x 2m room with no windows, just a loo(filtration) and somebody bringing you a meal a day, youll live for many years like that but it wont be much fun in fact it will be downright cruel.

Also the Clam does not look that happy either:( and it would be difficult to provide enough lighting and stable enough water parameters for it in a nano (not impossible just very difficult)

Sorry to break the news to you;)

Let us know more about the system please

Hello Quinton! You nano is indeed looking good. AND the fish are indeed colorful. BUT - as Kanga and other have said before. The problem with the tangs, are partly that they require a LOT of swimming space, partly that they are territorial, and partly that this size tank will most likely cause them extreme stress. The thing is - yes - you CAN possibly keep the tangs alive in the nano. BUT, you would most likely end up experiencing that they start suffering from marine ich, due to the stress.

Now - I am EXTREMELY glad to see that you say that you have a MUCH bigger tank in the pipeline. So, that you could at least move the tangs to this tank.

I love the midasblenny! Awesome little fish!

What lighting do you have in the tank? Perhaps, if your lighting is not 100% (clams require a LOT of light to be happy), perhaps you could add a little bit of invert food in the mean-while to the tank's water (don't try and target feed the clam - it will filter out the food it requires out of the water column)....

Good luck! And enjoy your artwork!

Funny you should ask ;-)
As per my previous post, my plan was to seal up the gates (either with PVC weld or duct tape). But that involves draining the tank, and besides, the reef-safeness of those compounds is dubious at best and requires some testing So in summary, I've been lazy and not done it yet.

However, I did score a quick win by simply adjusting my filter return pipe slightly above horizontal, so that it now turbulates the water. This seems to be enough to get rid of the surface film that otherwise used to build up. It's however an open question as to whether the stuff comprising the film is actually being skimmed/filtered of properly or not. Ultimately, proper surface skimming is a much better solution - just not got there yet.

Also the Clam does not look that happy either:( and it would be difficult to provide enough lighting and stable enough water parameters for it in a nano (not impossible just very difficult)

Give us more info on your clam prognosis ?

Back
Top Bottom