Quinton Goes Large (2.5m x 1.0m x 0.75m)

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by Quinton, 9 Nov 2009.

1. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Hi Guys

Any input/suggestions appreciated. Thanks a bazillion to all the people who have helped me thus far in conceptualizing this new tank - you know who you are.

Special thanks go to Marcel, who's recently spent many long hours listening to my unstructured rambling ideas and making them a lot more Germanic with the able assistance of Google Sketchup.

The pics below show the main tank to be 90cm wide, but we recently changed that to 100cm, giving the main display a volume of around 1750 litres. Each of the smaller displays in the base come in at around 300 litres. Detailed sump design is still work in progress, but I'd guess it would add an additional 600 litres, bringing total system volume to close to 3000 litres.

The idea behind the smaller tanks below is that they can either be covered up and used as invisible sumps/quarantine tanks, or (by simply clipping out the center panels of the lower doors), used a subsidiary display tanks (this was Marcel's cunning plan - I can take zero credit for this innovation ;-) ).

All of the traditional engineroom gadgetry is located outside the house (mainly for noise and mess reasons), and will be the topic of a separate posting, once we've figured out the details.

OK, so here goes...

This is the intended end result...

[​IMG]

The lower display tanks can also be covered up if necessary...

[​IMG]

Here's a shot with all the covers off, to give you an idea of what's going on inside:

[​IMG]

Some shots of the tank...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and the stand (50mm steel square tubing, I guess, although I still need to gen an engineer's opinion on this):

[​IMG]

Fire away if anyone has comments/suggestions/criticisms...

Q

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quinton

Quinton Thread Starter Smarty-pants Newbie

Some aquascaping ideas that I really like. Most of this is Marcel's fine work again...

Here's a high level overview. The computer model does not convey the depth very well from this angle, but at least it gives you an idea of where the subsequent zoomed-in images fit in:

[​IMG]

Here's some more detail on the cave against the left side. You can also see the pillar structure left of center. This is supported by a pipe, held upright by the top brace.

[​IMG]

4. Quinton

... and a close-up of the pillar from the other (left) side:

[​IMG]

5. Quinton

Here's a zoomed out shot of the full tank from the front-left. It give's a slightly better perspective then the first front-on view:

[​IMG]

6. Quinton

Here's another one of the pilar structure, this time from the front-right:

[​IMG]

7. Quinton

And a few from the top, just to make it clearer what's where. These views will obviously not be visible when the tank is installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. crispin

crispin

wow that sounds like a fantastic tank quinton, great feeling going big isnt it :)

out of intrest have you checked what the acess will be like to the back of a 1 m wide tank seeing as you only access from the front, will you be able to reach everywhere or will you use a pair of tongs?

what about plumbing? if you have acess to a "fish room"are you going to plumb a closed loop in for internal flow, any plans on that?

and lighting? are u aiming at a mixed reef, sps dominated or fish only?

Love the scaping idea, thats going to a pile of rock, how many kg's do you guestimate? 350kg or so?

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

This is really nice dimensions! 0.9m width is excellent....going to be hard to work in it from only one side....but hey its almost big enough to snorkel in;)

tagging along...this is going to be a nice thread to follow:thumbup:

10. Quinton

Definitely a pair of tongs. For the initial setup we'll climb into the tank, with all the upper cabinetry off. For subsequent maintenance, the top will lift off completely, and it will be a long ladder and a long pair of tongs from then on, unfortunately.

Overflow box is center rear, and incorporates a large durso and two return pipes, which enter through the base, and exit on the sides of the overflow box.
    Plumbing for those three pipes goes through the wall behind the tank, and then to an outdoor fish shed about 4m away. That's where all the sumps, chillers, skimmers, return pumps etc live.

Wasn't planning any closed loops (for no particularly good reasons). I already have 2 Vortech wavemakers, and will need at least another two of those to set up a decent wave in the tank (2 pumps at each end). Then I have 2 x 6500 l/hr return pumps spewing into the tank too. I'm hoping that will be enough (I had just 2 vortech's in my previous 2m tank, and there was plenty of flow). If that's not enough, I'll consider adding another 2 to the rear of the tank. I realise that the cost mounts up, but they're so darn efficient, small, quiet and convenient to move around, I'm inclined to go that route. MAybe I should think a bit more about a closed loop - it's probably cheaper.

I like mixed reefs. I have a 2m Reef Inmates lighting unit with 3 x 400 W metal halides plus 8 x 39W T5's, giving 1450W in total. The reflectors are good, and I think it'll be enough. The ends of the tank will be a bit dim, but that'll be fine for the deeper water and non-photosynthetic corals.

Good question - I'm trying not to think about that for now :) - the budget department doesn't like it.

I already have 150kg of mature live rock from my old system, and plan to augment that with about the same amount of dead rock, which should come to life after a few months. Exactly how much we need remains to be seen.

11. toppdogg

toppdogg

dude you have got some serious skills with sketchup
    awsome looking tank are the bottom tanks sump and refuge or DT aswell
    if so where is your sump going to be ?

12. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Why not 3m? 3 is a nice round number, lucky number 3, etc... ;)

Looks very well planned, even the aquascaping, pretty hectic!

13. crispin

crispin

think again abt that cls, it would make sence to my m ind to have a decent pipe thrpugh and under that rock work to blow detritus out, also nennie friendly etc etc. i love the simplicity of vortex too, but ui would think a cls would be a good addition to that tank. maybe you could look at bringing it out through the central over flow as well?

14. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

that looks very nice man:thumbup: awesome sketchup skills:)
    good luck and post lots of pics as you go;)

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

awesome ideas!
    very nice setup, and well planned, look forward to seeing the progress

16. Jaak

Jaak

Whoa!! Fantastic planning!!!!!!!!!!

17. Noodles

Noodles

Cant wait to see it, looks like an AMAZING tank...

18. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

this is going to be a stunner!

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW Quinton! I am sharing your pain in losing a LOT of lifestock........ I just gone through a lot of pain myself.

This is a SUPER AWESOME design mate! I am really SUPER impressed! Fantastic design.....

I too have redesigned my tank/sump........... I now have a total of +-1300 litres (compared to +-870 litres previously)......

Good luck with this design mate! I am holding ALL thumbs for you..... the aquascaping is awesome - but a wee bit hectic/full.... would you not prefer a more of openness?

Well - that's what I have opted for - a LOT of openness...... No more "overfull" tank for me! ;)

20. Quinton

Sorry to hear that Jacques. Fortunately I didn't lose any livestock in the tank burst. Nothing short of miraculous :thumbup:

Yeah, 100% agreed. The effect does not come across well in the computer-generated images - the sizes, shapes and colors of rocks available in Google Sketchup is limited. The end result will be a much more open looking reef, rest assured.

21. Adee

Adee

Looking good there Quinton, best of luck in getting things back into gear.

Recent Posts