Quick intro

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Zaheera, 1 Oct 2012.

1. Zaheera

Zaheera

hi All,
    I am new to the forum and would like the following advise please:
    i just received my new Marine Tank. Set it up yesterday with rocks and salt water from the Aquarium in CT. What's next??? Cant wait to get home - it's always been a dream of mine to own a marine tank!!! :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very warm welcome to MASA, Zaheera.

Unfortunately, keeping a Marine tank takes a LOT of time. Once your tank has been setup with water in it, it must "cycle" for (usually) 6 to 8 weeks..... The natural phenomenon of the biological food conversion process of food and wastes breaking down to ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, nitrogen gas and oxygen - is the "nutrient cycle".

This cycle must first reach maturity, and happens as the bacteria in your tank reaches maturity - and all of this takes 6 to 8 weeks usually.

Unfortunately - then only you can start adding fish, and investigate "easy to keep" corals.

In the mean while. You come here on MASA - have a look at every one else's tanks. Ask a LOT of questions, learn, and try and determine what lifestock you can keep together - and which types of lifestock you would be able to keep in your size tank, without causing too much harm to your fish/pets!

Enjoy the ride! It's great!

Zaheera likes this.
  4. Wes

Wes

was the rock live or dead? If it was dead, you'll have to wait a while for the cycle to start, if it's live rock you have to wait a little less longer.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2012
    Zaheera likes this.
  5. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I was told the rocks were live - how do i check?
    What do i do next? :)

6. Wes

Wes

this is what i would do:

1. put the tank together
    2. get the water tempreture to 24C
    3. mix salt in to the system to the correct salinity
    4. add the live rock
    5. wait
    6. go read/study/wait some more
    7. take what was read and think while you wait some more
    8. decide on skimmer and live stock
    9. decide on a clean up crew
    10. decide on coral/no coral/fish only/fish only with live rock

best bet is to check so many read-ups on starting a marine tank :)

7. jacquesb

Thank you Wes. That sums it up nicely! ;)

8. tJokkie

tJokkie

Welcome to MASA !

9. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

thanks guys... just remember now.. i'm the new kid on the block.. so you oldies better be posting alot, cos i'm gonna watch you!!! ;)

10. Clowning

Clowning

11. Jinx

Jinx

Hey warm welcome to you

12. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

well at this stage the pic would just have tank, set up, water, rocks! ok, i'll put the lights on too!! :)
    btw: i've put the rocks in first then the water, is that okay?
    so now i wait till 24 degrees? how long does that take ?
    do i check ph?

13. jacquesb

Hi Zaheera - no. You don't need to start checking pH yet.
    You would need the following test kits, to start off with:
    - ammonia
    - nitrite
    - nitrate
    - temp guage (seperate to the heater's thermostat - heater thermostat's are not always correct)
    - SG meter (to measure the salinity/amount of salt in your water - the SG/salinity have to between a range of 1.030 and 1.036. Nothing less - nothing more.

You first get your water in - then you put your rocks in - remember - the "live stuff on the rocks" start to die off, as soon as you take the rocks out of the water...... So - you will nearly guaranteed end up with SOME die-off.

Read up on the nutrient cycle.... you will understand the measurements better.

Also - you don't really need the best light on your tank, during the cycling process - just a power-head pump to move the water around in the tank..... The "live" critters need this water movement - remember: with a marine tank, you want to try and recreate the sea. As this is where all the fish, corals, and other nice pets come from.......

Zaheera likes this.
  14. Clowning

Clowning

Okay so I can only give advice on my experience and from what I have learned here on MASA. Firstly what is your tank size? also what equipment are you running? (heater,pumps,skimmer) based on size of tank and size of heater will determine how long its going to take to heat the tank.:nopity:

15. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

kewl. Thanks for the great explanation. I got most of that when i bought the tank, but wasn't sure what was what! now it's all making sense!! Will report back tomorrow... still not sure what to toggle with tonight! :whistling:

16. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

so here's an interesting question from my kids - why can't we just go to the ocean for the water - any bravehearts out there wanna answer this one?

17. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Comin guys :lol: .... You all missing the point, @ clowning,almost der ...

So ,wat size tank do you have? ... Do you know how many kgs liverock you have? Do you have aragonite? .... I see you using 2oceans water? Please make sure its 'clean' .... Now finally, list your equipment you have to date, and according your answers to the above, we will assist in next step from here.... Imho it would be to add a good bacteria source to boost cycle and I can recommend Prodibio,from personal use, I wouldnt change from it :lol: ...take note, there are plenty products in the market and we here on masa will and can guide you, please be patient as there are and will be many diferent opinions and methods ,and it will be up 2 u to choose and see if it works for you, ....

Awaitin your response
    ;)

18. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

You can get water from the ocean, but best If you do, choose a clean secluded beach as you won't knw if there is any contaminations in water and could ruin tank, so its nt that you can't, coz most guys do, but being a newbie, I say stick to saltmix or even 2oceans water(its free) but many wouldn't agree,me being one coz 2 oceans water seems to have high levels of nitrate/phosphate most times

19. Zaheera

Zaheera Thread Starter

well firstly as you tell by my comments i'm new to this, not sure of tank size/rock mass, but i received it as a gift (always wanted a marine tank!)
    Let me make an inventory and get back to you guys tomorrow.
    however i think that it has most of the stuff you all tank about but i don't know half of it!
    What i do know is that yesterday when we set it up it looked murky and this morning the water was lovely and clear. I guess now i'm just reading as much as I can...

What exactly do you mean by the water being clean? how do i check this?

20. Clowning

Clowning

:yeahdude: I fully agree I used 1vial of "Stop ammo" "biodigest" & "Bioptim" to start my tank cycle

21. Clowning

Clowning

I suggest you upload pics and we can help you identify what is what;)

Recent Posts