Questions........

Reaction score
Good evening. Hope everyone is doing well. I have a few questions up my sleeve. First of all I would just like to find out what equipmint and what size would be needed for a 120l tank. The tank is 30cm high, 47cm wide and 67cm long. I am going to build a new sump for it. In the tank I would like to keep my 2 clownfish, a lawnmower blenny and my anthias. I would also add a few snails and crabs for my cuc along with a shrimp or two. Then coral wise I would like to keep my zoas, mushrooms, and a few LPS corals like torches and hammers. I would really appreaciate any advice for my new tank, what light to get, what return pump, skimmer etc etc. I am in a budget of around 4k for the entire setup of the tank, but as time goes on I can upgrade. I will also build a jump net for this tank. Can I add any other fish after my fish?

Secondly..... I am looking for advice on a torch and if I would be able to keep one. My current light on my tank is a zetlight, it is one of those lancia marine ones I think, not to sure. I know it is 37w but I only run the blue. So I would like to know if I would be able to keep one, my parameters are good, just alk swings a lot when the tank evaporates but I'll make a DIY top up out of a bottle. Then if I would be able to keep a torch, please point me in the direction of someone that has any for sale, in a budget of R1k per head and not more than 2 of the same heads.

Thanks a lot, enjoy the rest of your days

Reaction score
Get a hammer and frogspawn or two thriving in the tank for a while before trying a torch.

Torches are notoriously difficult to keep and I really don't think a new setup is ideal for them at all.

Also what is considered good in terms of your parameters? Values for them will help everyone give some useful input :)

Reaction score
Thanks alot, yeah I was thinking of getting a hammer. My parameters ae 0.15 on phosfates and nitrate is 3. I don't test cal and mag. Alk is at 9.

Reaction score
Morning. Ok I'm getting 4 hammers, 2x 2 head frags and I'm testing my mag and cal. If they are incheck I am going to get my torch from Nic. I have done alot of research on them, but still busy, I'll be looking out for flatworms and I'll make sure it's alone and can't sting my other coral and lastly I'll give it some flow.

Reaction score
You'll want to get that PO4 down as well...
Wait and see how the hammers do for a few months before adding the torch

Reaction score
The hammers are going to start consuming alk, cal and to a lesser extent mag... wait till you can keep those parameters stable with the hammers in the tank

Reaction score
You'll want to get that PO4 down as well...
Wait and see how the hammers do for a few months before adding the torch
Thankyou, I'll do a waterchange soon to try get the PO4 down, and I'll also add the hammers first and leave them a few months, might just add the torch when 120l is done cycling

Reaction score
The hammers are going to start consuming alk, cal and to a lesser extent mag... wait till you can keep those parameters stable with the hammers in the tank
So I need to dose alk then as well. I want my alk at around 9, magnesium at 1450 and alk at 450, is this good?

Reaction score
Thankyou, I'll do a waterchange soon to try get the PO4 down, and I'll also add the hammers first and leave them a few months, might just add the torch when 120l is done cycling
That's a great idea :)
Stick to it and you'll be glad in the long run when you've got a happy and healthy coral

Reaction score
So I need to dose alk then as well. I want my alk at around 9, magnesium at 1450 and alk at 450, is this good?
I assume you mean cal at 450, that's all perfect.

Test once or twice a week to see what's getting used and how quickly its getting used. Then dose accordingly to keep your parameters there

Reaction score
Dosing my only option?. I might get a doser, but not yet, I'll use my hand for now.

Reaction score
Depends what you want to do. Can run a refugium with some macro algae, or dose lanthanum chloride for phos, or run gfo in a reactor.
Many ways to skin a cat...lol

Top Bottom