questions questions questions

Reaction score
I have a few unrelated questions to ask you guys

1) what is the best distance a 150watt MH should be from the water surface for sps
2) If i where to paint my tanks outside which paint should i use
3) Is there a way to silence an algae scrubber
4) if i where to place another blue light in my tank am i right in saying it should be
placed infront

shot chaps:yeahdude:

Reaction score

1) what is the best distance a 150watt MH should be from the water surface for sps
I would think not more that 300mm max

Not sure here, but I would think PVA.

Would need to see pics 1st

4) if i where to place another blue light in my tank am i right in saying it should be
placed infront
I have found this to work the best for me, give it a realy nice colour

Just my thoughts

Reaction score
agree with lighty
to answer number one also depends where you going to place the sps (how low down)
and also hw deep your tank is

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score

mine are 25cm off of the water surface but this is due to the reflector needing to be higher to spread the light.. better reflectors (eg lumenarc) could be positioned closer to the water surface..
2) If i where to paint my tanks outside which paint should i use.
a non drip enamel or QD (quick dry( enamel would be best.. QD enamels can dry in as little as 10 min both are solvent based so precausions such as good ventilation and air drawing filters (airpumps and skimmers) should be disabled untill the fumes dissapate.
more info needed to offer advice.. design of scrubber cause of noise needs to be established etc.
placed infront
the old rule was that brighter tubes wereplaced in front so as to cast shaddows backwards.. with a hailide in the mix i doubt you will have a problem no matter where you place the tube.. id add it in wherever you have space..

i hope this helps..

pkc

Reaction score
paint

There are two pack paints based on resins and are non toxic to your tank life once cured.

i would find a high acidic cure resin paint and use it,possibly a boat gel coat.

Apoxy resins with high acid cure work on glass nicely.

Don,t use it in the tank.

:thumbup:

Reaction score
There are two pack paints based on resins and are non toxic to your tank life once cured.

i would find a high acidic cure resin paint and use it,possibly a boat gel coat.

Apoxy resins with high acid cure work on glass nicely.

Don,t use it in the tank.

:thumbup:
nice reply there pkc, always good to see principles behind an idea rather than just a brand name. thanks:)

Reaction score

placed infront

1.As low as your reflectors allow but not too close or water spills could crack your bulb/glass cover.

2.Well these days you could even go with a good quality pva(silk type pure acrylic).or the epoxy type or enamel...they'll all work but remember to keep the air pumps etc of and the room ventilated whiles its drying.

3.have a look at the scrubber thread someone had one silenced by adding some kind of gauze at the bottom,he's got a link for it there.its part of his overflow.

nope play around with it to find the best fit in your tank.in my tank i have from front to back

2xt5 white 12000k
1x blue 20000k
1x white 12000k
1x pure actinic
1x actinic blend

gives me nice flourescence from corals and shows out fish colours nicely.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
perhaps look at water based enamels they will stick well and ber friendlier on the atmosphere...

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
not any more you get water based enamels now, same durability as solvent (turps/thinners) based but brushes are washed in water.. can even thin the enamel with water... no harmful fumes.. etc.. just to give you an idea i work at Venture Otto.. we have a waterbourne painting plant.. most of your mercedes bumpers which we manufacture and paint) are painted with waterbourne paint due to toxcisity levels being experienced by solvent based equivalents..

Reaction score
not any more you get water based enamels now, same durability as solvent (turps/thinners) based but brushes are washed in water.. can even thin the enamel with water... no harmful fumes.. etc.. just to give you an idea i work at Venture Otto.. we have a waterbourne painting plant.. most of your mercedes bumpers which we manufacture and paint) are painted with waterbourne paint due to toxcisity levels being experienced by solvent based equivalents..
hmm interesting stuff leslie but i dont think it's readily available to the public just yet....nice to know though.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
sure it is.. dulux pearlglo non drip enamel thinnable by water.. R383 per 5lt equates to R76.60 per lt..

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
less getting geoffed on the fumes:razz:

Reaction score
Lol yeah old school enamels give of some potent fumes.thank goodness even enamels are moving away from solvents as a base and there's some top quality acrylic paint out also these days.