Questions on treating with Myxazin

Reaction score
Treating a bacterial infection in my one clown with Waterlife Myxazin (green looking stuff), but its safe for reef use so it's my only choice.

Questions:
1.) Will this kill off any of the good bacteria in the tank causing nitrate or ammonia spikes?

2.) I've removed my charcoal and phosphate remover, is this correct?

3.) Anyone else used this medication with success?

Matt, just found this from Practical fish keeping.

Does this product treat parasites? Yes
Does this product treat bacterial infections? Yes
Does this product treat fungal infections? No
Does this product work supportively? No
Is this product safe for freshwater use? Yes
Is this product safe for marine use? Yes
Is this product safe for use with inverts? Yes
Is this product harmful to filter bacteria? No
Is this product designed for pond use? No

It would appear from the blurb that it is invert safe and marine tank safe

Hi Matt -

I have read too that it seems to be invert safe - BUT, I was never willing to really test it out.....

So - sorry that I cannot really make a decent contribution to your question.
I do want to add that I am not really fond of adding medicine's to my marine tank..... I would rather slight decrease salinity to relieve any possible stress the fish might have, for a short period of time (while I monitor my inverts - as soon as they seem to suffer, I slowly increase the salinity again)...

Hi Matt -

I have read too that it seems to be invert safe - BUT, I was never willing to really test it out.....

So - sorry that I cannot really make a decent contribution to your question.
I do want to add that I am not really fond of adding medicine's to my marine tank..... I would rather slight decrease salinity to relieve any possible stress the fish might have, for a short period of time (while I monitor my inverts - as soon as they seem to suffer, I slowly increase the salinity again)...

Jacques, i asked a couple of Q's behind the scenes on U/R - it's ok to use that stuff:)

Cool! Wee-Man. So, other fellow reefers in the UK have used it in their own reef-tanks without problems?

Only one thing though, when using Myxazin - it makes the white silicon go green! :-(

I used it in the past in "quarantine/hospital tanks"......

Wee-Man: Thanks for that! My clown seems to be perking up a bit (or maybe its my imagination) but hopefully he'll make it! :) :)

jacquesb: to combat that you give half doses, twice a day. That way the water doesn't go green ;) Was told this by my LFS as well as someone on another forum thats used it many times in his reef tank.

On the SG issue, this is something that has been bothering me for a while and I have seen the light I think.

On synthetic salt bags and on forums around the world they recommend at least 1.022 SG. But I read anm article by Randy Holmes Farley recently in which he states that natural sea watger is at 1.026 and aquarists shouldn't go lower than 1.025 (or something can't quite remember but that isn't the point).

Recently I had a bit of a tank crash and my Millepora never quite recovered. It was always almost dead since then. The I read the article and slowly upped my SG to 1.026 from the normallyt recommended 1.023. I am happy to say that my Mille has suddenly recovering, has better PE and it's florescance is returning slowly but surely.

I am not saying as a fact that it is because of the "corrected" SG but I'm sure it had something to do with it.

Now I am keeping my SG constant at 1.026.

Thanks Gali - yes - you are correct - the "standard" level of SG should be between 1.025 and 1.026.

The thing that I have noticed, and found a lot of proof of on the internet, is that the SG on all the reefs changes - it never stays the same during the year - summer the SG is higher, rainy seasons the SG is lower, etc, etc....

BUT, what I have noticed as well, is that even as the SG changes, the corals are quite hardy, as long as the change is not too quick, and neither TOO high or TOO low....

SG is at 1.022, so should be ok?

Don't leave it at 1.022 for too long, it is going to hurt your coral, I think you had a Brain. he will take a beating if you don't get it back to 1.025/26.

I was running my tank at the lower levels and the corals don't like it. Ramped it up slowly and things got better.

Agree with jacques about SG changing in natural but in the sea you are talking about such a huge volume of water that changes are so slight and over long periods of time, that the creatures can adapt.

Normally in our tanks these swings happen too quickly.

Some advice: get into a regular water change regime (must be regular) and you won't have any SG problems. I can check my sg anytime and it is always 1.026.

Do a 15% water change once a week and top up RO only during the week.

Once this is running all you worry about is Calcium and the Nitrogen compounds

Back
Top Bottom