Questions on Built in filtration tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dogstar, 23 Feb 2015.

1. dogstar

dogstar

I have traditional setup, drilled display tank which overflows to a sump under the tank. The sump has a DSB and return pump. I have an external skimmer fed from the sump.

My main issue with my current tank is algae growth and waste removal. Its not too bad, but if i replace my tank i would prefer to not have the same issues.

I am looking at replacing my current system. So I see a lot of pet stores selling tanks like the red sea max and other brands of tank with built in filtration systems.

What at the thoughts of the learned folk on these types of tanks?

Would I have similar issues with these built in filtration systems? I don’t want to buy this type of tank, and then a couple of months I feel I have to upgrade and drill it and then install a sump to get more filtration going etc?

Would like to know, especially from anybody who has had these types of tanks for longer than a year.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

@tekkengal knows the Red Sea tanks well

But yes if you don't maintain good husbandry you will always get issues, unfortunately its not a problem one can throw money at to fix

Could also be that your DSB is the incorrect size and depth. Can you post a pic of the sump and maybe the dimensions of each compartment @RiaanP knows quite a bit about dsb's

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    tekkengal likes this.
  4. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

My question is not so much about my current setup, as i plan to change it anyways.

More interested to know if these "kit" tanks provide adequate filtration or if at some point in time, i am going to find out what they give you is not up to scratch and I have to mod the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Criggy

Criggy

I dont think there is anything wrong with the all in one systms.
    Only problem with them is that -components like skimmer and lighting are generally entry level/substandard.
    The Boyu skimmer that comes with the TL550 for example is very difficult to dial in and in my mind does not skim well at the best of times.
    If I were getting a boyu all in one system id do a mod to the lighting, get a tunze skimmer for chamber 3, filter floss for chamber 1 and in chamber 2 i would run Orca biocubes (bomb method).
    Simple, easy and effective.

6. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

One of my biggest concerns was the skimmer.

On the Red sea kits and Infinity Aqua - what are the thoughts on the skimmers?

Anybody know how easy it is to get replacements to fit in the back of these tanks if something breaks?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I set up a Nanocube 24g and a TL550. In both the skimmer, or more the lack of space to install a proper skimmer was an issue. Not sure on the newer bigger Red Sea Max tanks. But I found the limited access to the rear compartments to be an issue. Fish jumps over and you got to break our arm to get in down the chambers. Just being able to see if there are anything at the bottom of a chamber is already an ultra mission.

Plus, my preference is to use all the real estate available for the display, as part of the display. More space for your little fishes to swim about. So both those systems lost their internal filters and got drilled with a proper sump setup. Nano cube running with a DSB and the TL550 an Seachem Matrix and live rock experiment.

But on both those systems, the lights were an issue. Rock work generally moved back and the lights ended up being to far to the front. Both got their hoods gutted and LED fitted. I found the default PL tubes they used to be too expensive for what you are getting out compared to normal T5 tubes.

Biggest advantage a Red Sea Max or any of these all in one systems have is less noise. No waterfall sounds from an overflow or running water down drain pipes. That does make a difference if the tank should stand in a "quite" place. Your study table, or like right next to you watching TV. OK, I do not have a TV so that does not bother me :tt2:

I do prefer natural filtration, DSB, Cheato, Caulerpa. Over reactors and chemicals. Plus DSB and refugium is a lot cheaper to set up and to maintain. But a DSB should have the right flow across, to prevent excess settlement. There is a lot of info on DSB on MASA so not going to derail this thread with that at the moment.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2015
  8. Criggy

Criggy

I do not know the infinity aqua skimmer.
    There is not much really to the back of the tanks - just a return pump, a heater and a skimmer.
    All easily replaceable.
    I know that the Tunze 9001 skimmer is a beast and fits into the standard boyu setup.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is that with hood still in place?

10. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

For the RSM tanks it depends on the model as some have sumps and the others have a back chamber to house the skimmer and pumps.
    For those that have sumps, I feel that these are too small to have an effective DSB so you end up looking at other alternatives like Matrix etc. There is enough space there however to run your various reactors as well as having a refugium going to compensate for the lack of a DSB.

The skimmers, on both the sump and sumpless RSMs, are decent depending on the stocking levels. If you overstock the tank, you will find that the skimmer won't be able to work as effectively which then leads to replacing it with a more powerful skimmer.
    If you want to replace the sumpless skimmers you will be challenged as there are very few models that can fit into the back chamber (and then there is some modification required).

11. Criggy

Criggy

Never seen it but i have heard so yes

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

My new tank will be an AIO, the skimmers are fine, these tanks arent meant to carry loads of fish, i still believe the skimmers are adequate and will improve. Most AIO tanks can accomodate HOB skimmers

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

AIO = All In One
    Another abbreviation in the reefing world
    :lol:

Recent Posts