Questions about bubble tip anemone requirments

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got this anemone today and I've never had one before, I'm also a newbie.
Firstly does this one look healthy?
Secondly, I have a Zetlight ZA1201 on my 40 litre. Should I be putting it on the blue light setting for the anemone or the white light? I dont have any corals in the tank. Just 2 clownfish and the anemone.

Attachments

Reaction score
Tank is to young for nennie tank must be at least 8 months old just keep a eye on it
Oh, I had read that once your tank parameters were stable you could add one. The guy at the fish shop who knows my tank also said it was fine.
I'll watch it closely.
What do you recommend regarding the lighting? Blue or white?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
It looks healthy, although possibly slightly under-coloured/bleached, but not too much, the colours should deepen as it gets healthier. Your tank is new so it is a bit risky, but these are one of the more forgiving species of anemone so if you look after your tank parameters and give it strong lighting then it stands a good chance at surviving, Your tank is small as well so any swings in parameters will happen quickly which will negatively affect the anemone, so keep your tank's water parameters stable. Important parameters to monitor would be salinity, temperature, nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity.

Do you have any additional pumps in the display tank? Anemones do tend to walk around the tank, especially if they are unhappy and they are prone to walking or drifting into pumps and getting shredded to pieces, so if you have any pumps in the tank it is always a good idea to make them anemone proof by wrapping sponge around them, this will have to cleaned regularly as well. Best of luck with it. :)

Reaction score
It looks healthy, although possibly slightly under-coloured/bleached, but not too much, the colours should deepen as it gets healthier. Your tank is new so it is a bit risky, but these are one of the more forgiving species of anemone so if you look after your tank parameters and give it strong lighting then it stands a good chance at surviving, Your tank is small as well so any swings in parameters will happen quickly which will negatively affect the anemone, so keep your tank's water parameters stable. Important parameters to monitor would be salinity, temperature, nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity.

Do you have any additional pumps in the display tank? Anemones do tend to walk around the tank, especially if they are unhappy and they are prone to walking or drifting into pumps and getting shredded to pieces, so if you have any pumps in the tank it is always a good idea to make them anemone proof by wrapping sponge around them, this will have to cleaned regularly as well. Best of luck with it. :)
It's an innovative marine tank wi

Thank you so much for the advice. It's an innovative marine, so its got a sump built in at the back. So lucky no pumps inside the display except a back-up airstone in case of power outages.
It has found it's favourite spot now and feeds well. They said to feed it a small bit of lance fish 2x a week.
Interesting observation, it has bubbles when the blue light is on and then losses them when the light is off.

Reaction score
Also looking at getting one...I've got 2x WaveMakers but they're pretty high up in the corners, I wonder if this will be an issue
Also, is that the only food you've been giving it?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
They said to feed it a small bit of lance fish 2x a week.
Perfect, use small pieces, about the size of your pinkie fingernail. Cut off the head and tail of the lancefish and you should be able to cut about 3 maybe 4 small pieces of the body of the fish to use as food.
Interesting observation, it has bubbles when the blue light is on and then losses them when the light is off.
Good observation. I don't think anybody has ever figured out how their bubble tips work, lol, some members really struggle to get theirs to bubble up, others have bubbletips all the time. :032:

Top Bottom