Questions about Algae, Pump, evaporation and dead sweetlipss

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by clint1971, 14 Jan 2015.

1. clint1971

clint1971

Afternoon all,

I recently started a marine aquarium and have a few questions for the boffins on the forum.

Some background first. I have a Jewel Lido 30 Gallon tank, filled up with water and live rock beginning of November 2014. It has a skimmer and pump (the standard Jewel skimmer and pump) and 1 white Marine 24W Jewel bulb and 1 blue 24W Jewel bulb. Water parameters are PH = 8.2, Nitrate = 2, Nitrite = 0, Ammonia = 0, Alkalinity = 1.4.
    Stocked with the following:
    2x Clown fish
    3x fire fish
    1x chromis
    2x pyjama cardinals
    1x shrimp
    1x star fish

Questions:
    1. Since adding the blue bulb there seems to be a huge growth spurt of algae floating on the top, on the sand and on the glass (can be seen in the photo) Is this normal? will it go away after awhile? anything I can do about it?

2. Recently my pump has started blowing air bubbles every 10 seconds or so (can be seen in the photo). Is this what the pump should be doing?

3. Can I top up my tank with tap water to cover water lost by evaporation?

4. I added a Harlequin Sweetlips to my tank 3 days ago and today found it floating upside down gasping for air. Im sure its not long of this earth :m27: and is my first casualty. Any ideas why it could have died?

Thanks in advance for the help
    Clint

Tank Pump.jpg

Tank Pump2.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Criggy

Criggy

Changing lighting would cause this and it should go away over time - if not increase your flow and monitor your nutrient levels
    Your pump must be pulling the bubbles from somewhere or they are collecting somewhere and blowing through your pump
    You should ideally be using RO water for your topups - some areas have fairly clean water and can be used for topups - maybe test the TDS of your tapwater - if its over 10 id use RO water instead
    What is the SG of your water? A higher SG lowers available oxygen in the water and without good air transfer can cause diminished o2 in the system that the harlequin is not used to but the other fish have been accustomed to..just a thought - other than this all looks fine. Perhaps bullying? Are your parameters stable? Acclimation process?

4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Ideally use ro water. Your alkalinity is very low.
    Harlequin sweet lips grow to massive sizes, research fish before you buy.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2015
  5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

How long did the tank cycle for?
    Is it a sand sifting starfish?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

1. The algae growth will not be due to the globe replacement, but rather from more nutrients eventually leading to massive growth. What is your phosphate readings. What filtration option do you use?

2. Blowing those bubbles is not right. Pump is sucking air somehow. Water level above the pump most likely too low.

3. NO, unless you want more algae.

4. A Harlequin Sweetlips becomes a big fish eventually. Up to 72cm. Yikes. So in a twisted way, its better not to have him in your tank anymore. Sorry, I know that sounds totally wrong. Anyway, the reason it died can be due to various mistakes. To fast acclimatize. Was at really low salinity at LFS. shipped badly. Caught with cyanide (yeah, there are still people doing that). Hard to say.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2015
    butcherman, TaahirS and dallasg like this.
Recent Posts