Question on Aquascaping with LR

Reaction score
When Aquascaping is it best to make sure the LR does not contact any of the walls? i.e would it be fine it it is up against the back of the tank, but not touching the sides or front?

Or is it best if it steers clear of all sides of the tank?

It is best to keep all rockwork off the glass, for one if your rock is leaning against the glass for support then you are placing extra pressure on the glass and two, you get optimum waterflow around the rockwork if it is not touching the sides of the tank. Having said this, I do have one or two pieces of rock touching the glass, it's not ideal.

Hi Matt - water flow in/under/around rocks are always an issue - and personally I found that this is one of the main reasons for problems in our tanks. As detritus settles EVERYWHERE in/under/around rocks and causes leaching of everything bad, but mostly phosphates (which is the main fuel for nuisance algae).

Ideally you want to have a power-head or two underneath your rockwork (even the cheapest powerheads) just to ensure that there is really decent water-flow in/under/around your rock-work....

The problem I found, is that with MOST aquascaping designs - IF you do not have the power-heads at the right places, you will still end up with detritus somewhere that might cause problems in future.....

I personally think that one should go back to having multiple small power-heads hidden away, rather that trying to have the correct water-flow with only one or two minimal power-heads/pumps....

My next re-design in my aquascaping will definitely include more water-flow in/under/around my rock-work....

Irie Ivan for example has about 5 or 6 power-heads hidden away behind his rock-work, and these are purely to keep detritus from hiding away - not for water flow in his tank....

Jacquesb: Maybe I should get 1 more little pump, place it in the bottom left of the tank pointing to the RHS, what would you advise.

Current setup:
frontey.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Rightside.jpg

Should I have opted for less rocks (but bigger ones) or is the size of mine good for my tank size?

you might want to try and place your liverock in such a way that it has bigger gaps in it, try building it as if for something that needs hidey holes, you dont haveto lay it in like bricks. if you have your pump pionting at a rock it seems to create all sorts of water patterns and currents

Matt - yes - it should be fine either way (left or right) - BUT - as mandarinman says try and get the pump/power-head to point directly towards the rock - this would be more beneficial....

try and have two small pieces of rock on the bottom, then one large on going across the 2 small ones and build from there. this will maximize the surface area of the live rock which will benifit filtration wise. it also maxes the rock work more natural and you can then place a small pump to blow the crap upwards and can then be removed. thats just my 2c:)

Back
Top Bottom