Question Often Asked.... Skimmer Adjustment

Discussion in 'New Members' started by XV3, 14 Dec 2009.

1. XV3

XV3

love or hate it, but if you have it might as well make it work to the best of its ability =)

For all of us who are new and have purchased one of these bad boys, the hardest part about it is setting it up correctly in terms of froth generation, keeping water out of the collection cup, and bubbles out of the aquarium. I have managed to do this :banghead::banghead: and it should be easy to calibrate your own. This is how I did it:

step one: close air valve completely, no bubbles should be entering the reaction chamber, let any bubbles currently in the reaction chamber out (may take a minute)

step two: remove collection cup (leave the lid off the cup for now) adjust the waterflo so that it reaches about 5mm from the top (you will adjust this again)

step three: twist open the air maybe 2 full turns (not all skimmers are the same) until you generate foam, you will generate a lot of bubbles try to let few will escape into the sump (overflowing). Since the cup is removed most will pop without overflowing, in general you will get a nice wet froth.

step four: place the collection cup back on the skimmer (warning: the bubbles will shoot up the small plastic colum and start filling the cup with water, this is what we want initially, do not place the lid on the cup, this will increase the rate of flow into the cup).

step five: start turning down the air valve to limit the amount of air being taken in, you should notice that the rate which the bubbles/water fills the collection cup slowly receed (if the collection cup starts to get to a cirtical point with the over flow dump its contents into a bucket but do not modify air intake until the cup is back on the skimmer, as soon as you remove the cup the skimmer will stop over flowing).

step six: continue with step five until you reach a point where the bubbles pop before overflowing into cup

step seven: place the lid on top of the collection cup, bubbles will start to overflow into the cup again. Slowly turn down the air intake, you are almost there. As soon as you have a column of froth that does not overflow into the collection cup you are golden. The bubbles are popping readily since there is no "bio waste" to give the water a higher surface tension. As soon as there is waste the bubbles will not pop as easily and flow into the collection cup slowly eventually, which is what we want!

hope this helps everyone out =)

* I am a newb so please correct me where I'm wrong.....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Thanks great advice and welcome to MASA!

4. XV3

XV3 Thread Starter

Thank you

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

thank you for the contribution, welcome

Recent Posts